The End of Lord Strange

(Richard returns to court, alone. He makes the decision to end Strange's life.

A/N: again, I know in the picture is from the wrong era, but that expression tho)

EARLY DECEMBER 1503

Richard placed his chains around his shoulders. Freja draped his riding cloak and fastened it on him.

"You don't mind if I don't come?", she asked.

Richard shook his head. "Rest, I should be back by Christmas".

He kissed her, lips lingering, reluctant to want to leave the comfort of her arms. Nevertheless, he was a royal duke and he had a duty to England.

Richard departed with Ralph, Drew and Robyn. Sarah had returned briefly to attend to William's funeral and returned back to Catherine's side soon after.

Richard arrived and was immediately summoned by the king. Henry greeted him with condolences and invited him to sit and drink with him by the hearth.

"How is she?", Henry asked.

"My wife? She's doing fine. She's still grieving".

"And Meg?".

"She'll be a great queen. I have no doubts to it. Forgive me of my absence, but I'm sure Sir Thomas had filled you in".

"Yes, he did. He said you cried at the wedding", Henry chuckled.

"She was beautiful, Your Grace. She looks like a queen".

Henry simply smiled. He patted Richard's hand and drank.

"I'm sorry about William. Although, it's not a surprise. Children can die so easily, even when we take every precaution to ensure their healths are well cared for".

"Is that what you're doing to Harry? Keeping him locked up in the Queen's chambers?".

Henry sighed. "He's my only hope for the continuation of the Tudor dynasty. I'm far too old to be married now".

Richard's mind wandered back to the coffer hidden in William Barnley's chest. Richard contemplates, if he said a word, surely, his head would be on the city walls by now.

"I will be here until before Christmas", said Richard.

"You do not wish to join us?".

Richard shook his head. "My wife's health is very delicate at the moment. I don't think I can leave her for too long".

Henry nodded. "Could you perhaps take Mary with you? I fear she'll be too lonely to celebrate with just her nursemaids".

Richard smiled and nodded. He excused himself to return to his private quarters, where the Barnleys and Robyn were waiting for him.

"Update on Lord Strange".

"Well, he started to get sick after three doses. I add a pinch more every time Robyn slipped it into his food and wine", said Sarah.

"He's bedridden now. Lord Stanley has been calling the finest physician to help his son because he thinks his son ate something bad", said Drew.

"Robyn, I assume you know how to get in", Richard leaned by his work table.

"Why? He's in St. Paul's Wharf", said Robyn.

(Fun fact: google Derby House and see who was the one who founded it)

"Why? Because I'm tired of waiting. I want to finish it myself".

"You've gone mad! What if they catch you?", said Sarah.

"Which is precisely why we need the right time when everyone is not at home".

"Do you know who built that place because I don't think your father appreciated you killing a man over there", Drew pointed out.

"When he died, that place is given to Margaret Beaufort. For what? We're doing it and I doubt my father minds", Richard pulled out his knife and twirled it around.

"If I'm not mistaken, according to Ralph, Lord Stanley will be at court until the end of this week. We have time", said Robyn.

"Good. Sarah, attend the princess as usual. Whatever happens, you don't leave her side. Drew, you stay here in case they come looking".

"Like hell I'm going to let you go on your own", Drew protested.

"Robyn will be with me. The lesser people with me, the better".

"No, I'm coming and that's final", Drew placed his hands on his hips and for a moment, Richard saw William in him.

"Drew and I can just wander around London, looking like we're drunk", Robyn suggested.

"We can take a cart and filled it with hay. Rich hides in there and we take him there using that", said Drew.

"But what if they ask where he is?", Sarah pointed out.

"I can be out with them, just to be seen by people passing by".

"I don't know, Rich. It's too risky", said Sarah.

"It's a risk I'm willing to take".

"We can stop nearby, take piss or something while Richard goes in and kill him", said Robyn.

"Tonight we go", said Richard, slamming his knife to his desk.

THAT NIGHT

Sarah stayed with Catherine, as per instructed. Richard hooked a cart on Pepper, where they had filled with hays earlier, and the three young men charted off into the night.

They drank as they would and they sang and laughed, looking jolly and merry as any drunkard around London.

A lot of people saw Richard, which he would nod and smile and wave at them. They waved back and sent blessings to him, their favourite York prince.

As they approached St. Paul's Wharf, Robyn jumped down and ran into the bushes, where the other two can hear gagging and Robyn hurling in the bushes. That was Richard's cue to slip away and headed into the house.

William and Edward Lincoln had thought him many things and tonight, Richard will put them to the test. He used the back door where servants were coming and going and since he was wearing Robyn's cloak, no one would look twice at him.

Robyn had told Richard how to get in and find Strange's room. Using the keys that Robyn had stole from one of the staffs, Richard quietly let himself in.

Lord Strange was lying in his bed, pale and close to death. Richard, hood still up, stood next to him.

Strange turned and gasped, as if he saw a ghost. He began to pray, but it was cut short when Richard grabbed the pillow and smothered him. He used his own weight on top of the pillow and pressed hard until the man stopped moving.

Richard lifted the pillow to see a terrified look etched in Strange's face. He smirked, satisfied of the man's demise.

Richard arranged to make look like Strange had passed in his sleep. Thank God the room was on ground level and Richard used the window to escape.

Richard dumped the keys in a nearby ditch and he returned as Drew and Robyn arrived quickly to pick him up. They headed to a tavern nearby Westminster and continued off drinking until the wee hours in the morning.