Sneak Attack

(Richard uses Robert the Bruce's [refer to the movie Outlaw King] method against the Scots. James finally concedes to Richard's demand of peace and to meet in open field. Richard loses someone close to him and prompts him to show no mercy.

A/N: this will completely not going according to TSP or history

A/N 2: if you're squeamish on war and death scenes, you might want to scroll past earlier parts)

WARNING: BATTLE SCENES INVOLVES KILLING

The English army travelled light. They used the mud, broom bushes and tall grasses to hide themselves.

Richard signalled Surrey, who's not far from him. Surrey nodded and unsheathed his sword.

They waited until the last man dropped to the ground, drunk and passed out. The English crept in quietly and attacked, mercilessly killing their enemies.

When the Scots planned to escape, Richard raised a torch. Ralph commanded the archers to light their arrows and fire at will.

Catherine watched as the field lit up in flames and decorated with bodies. She saw those who ran and got struck in the back by fiery arrows.

Richard caught one of the Scots. He grabbed the man by the neck, pointing his sword to it.

"Send a message to your king. If he doesn't accedes to my demand to meet on open field in Flodden, many Scots will die. Do you understand me?".

The man nodded, vigorously. Richard let him go and told the men to spare the messenger.

They had won that night, but one battle doesn't equal a war. Richard made sure the bodies were properly buried before moving forward to Flodden.

As they rode, Catherine studied the duke. He had the worried look and his shoulders were tensed.

"We will win, Ricardo", she assured him.

"That's not what I'm worried about".

"Then what, Your Grace?", Surrey spoke.

Richard sighed. "What if he doesn't accede to our peace? We will have to fight him. I do not wish to fight my brother".

"He is no brother of ours if he breaks the peace", said Catherine.

"I am hoping Meg could speak to him of peace. Why do this? We have an alliance. We have an agreement!".

"Scots and us have been at war so centuries, Your Grace. Why should you be surprised?", said Surrey.

"He is risking excommunication from Rome! How am I not worried, Surrey? How is this will guarantee my sister's safety?".

"Your Grace is a softie when it comes to women", Surrey laughed.

"Not just any woman, my Lord Surrey. Ricardo is a man of honour. He is worried for his sister and that's acceptable. He wants her to have a country who can guarantee safety and security, not war ridden", said Catherine.

"Aye, that's true, which is commendable of him", said Surrey.

"I just hope he listens. I don't want to fight him and giving any cause for my sister to turn against me".

"We will pray to God that he will", said Catherine.

MEANWHILE

Meg stood, frozen in shock when she heard what the messenger had to say. James, on the other hand, smiled knowingly.

"Now that, my English rose, is an opponent worth fighting, unlike your brother the king. I'm surprised he never took the opportunity to snatch the crown from your father".