Chapter 125

"I got heat signatures!" Tony spoke up.

"How many?" Steve asked.

"Uh...one," Tony said.

"One?" Maddy asked.

They all four enter the vast chamber...the lights quickly came on. Hazy, yellow mist descends within the capsules... each one contains an enhanced soldier from awhile ago. Maddy looked around bewildered.

"If it's any comfort, they all died in their sleep. Did you really think I wanted more of you?" A voice asked.

"W-Who are you!?" Maddy asked.

"I'm Helmut Zemo," The man smirked.

"What the hell?" Bucky whispered.

"I'm grateful to them, though. They brought you all here," Zemo said.

Steve hurled his shield at the control room that Zemo stood in...but it flies back, he quickly catches it.

"Oh Please, Captain! The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets," Zemo replied.

"I'm betting I could beat that!" Tony smirked.

"Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr. Stark. Given time. But then you'd never know why you came," Zemo smiled.

"You killed innocent people in Vienna and framed an innocent man! And for what? to bring us here? You're planning something," Maddy frowned.

"I thought about nothing else for over a year. I studied you both. I followed you both. But now that you're both standing here, I just realized.....there is a hint of green in the blue of both of your eyes. How nice to find a flaw," Zemo said, looking from Steve to Maddy.

"You're Sokovian! Is that what this is about?" Steve asked.

"Sokovia was a failed state long before you all blew it to hell! No. I'm here because I made a promise," Zemo smirked.

"Y-You lost someone?" Maddy asked, studying Zemo.

"I-I lost everyone! And soon so will you!" Zemo said, turning on the screen that stood next to Steve and Maddy.

"I have a bad feeling about him," Maddy whispered, looking up at Steve.

"An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one which crumples from within? That's dead....forever," Zemo smirked.

Maddy studied the screen....a familiar date appeared on the screen, she looked over at Tony who looked very uneasy.

"I-I know that road! What is this?" Tony asked.

The video started to play.....

A car was forced off the road...crashing into a tree, a familiar man pulled up on their motorbike....It was Bucky. The driver fell out of the car, laying on the ground...Maddy looked closer. It was Howard.

"H-Help my wife! Please! Help!" Howard begged.

Maddy continued to watch the video, seeing Bucky hoist Howard up by his hairs. Bucky stared at Howard's bloody face....Howard stared back pleadingly.

"S-Sergeant Barnes?" Howard asked.

"Howard!" The Woman in the car called out.  

Suddenly Bucky pounded Howard hard in the face...over and over, until he was dead.

Maddy turned away....blinking, her eyes started to become watery and soon tears started to run down her face, she turned back to continued to watch the video.

"Howard!" The Woman in the car called out again.

Bucky puts Howard in the driver's seat with his face against the steering wheel....Maddy turned to look at Tony, horror filled his eyes. She quickly moved back to the screen.....

All of a sudden Bucky walked around the car....and grabbed the woman by the throat. Expressionless he strangled the woman. Bucky then walked up to the surveillance camera...shooting it.

Maddy stood there shocked, unable to move.

"Tony?" Steve asked.

Maddy turned looked from Steve to Tony....Tony stared back....anger filled his eyes.

"D-Did you both know it was him?" Tony asked.

"I-I didn't know," Maddy whispered.

"I didn't know it was him," Steve said.

"Don't bullshit me, Rogers! Did you both know?" Tony asked, looking from Steve to Maddy.

"Yes," Steve replied.

Tony stared at Maddy waiting for a response.

"I-I knew Howard died...but I didn't know about Bucky, I mean I did but I didn't know he killed your father," Maddy sighed.

"Bullshit!" Tony snapped.

Maddy flinched, taking a step back.