Chapter 169

Maddy stood next to Sam.... in front of them stood a large crowd, the crowd was filled with mostly news reporters and some people from the government. Next to Maddy... in a large brown leather bag was the Shield.

Sam went on and on about how great Captain America and how Steve changed everything.... meanwhile Maddy stared out into the crowd, completely zoned out.

Suddenly a man in a military uniform walked up to Maddy and Sam and grabbed the shield..... this caused Maddy to quickly snap back into reality.

"Excuse me?! What are you doing?" Maddy asked.

"W-I'm doing what I was ordered," The man said.

"And what is that? Hmm?" Maddy asked.

"The government thought it was best....if we took back the shield," The man replied.

"The government thought it was best? My brother gave me this shield.... I deserve it!" Maddy snapped.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Rogers," The man mumbled.

"It's Mrs. Barnes," Maddy frowned.

"Right.... sorry," The man sighed.

All of a sudden Rodney walked up towards Maddy.....

"Give the man the shield.... we don't want to make a scene," Rhodes replied.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Maddy asked.

"You never would've come if I did," Rhodes shrugged.

"Damn right!" Maddy growled.

"Maddy... you need to calm down," Rhodes whispered.

"I am calm! I'm just freakin pissed off! You all think a woman can't handle the shield.....history will never change. You all think this is a man's world! News flash it's not! I will fight for this shield.... until my last dying breath," Maddy said, turning to look at the crowd.

Maddy grabbed the shield and shoved it into Rhodes's chest... and quickly walked away.

**************

Maddy sat in the passenger seat while Sam drove down a road.... James sat quietly in the back, looking out the window.

"Can you believe those people?" Maddy asked, looking over at Sam.

"I can't. I completely understand why you got mad.... I would've too!" Sam said.

"It's just.... in the 40s after me and Steve took the serum, I was always in his shadow. Even though I was the first super soldier..... no matter where I'm at, or who I am, I will always be in my brother's shadow," Maddy sighed.

"Which is why you need to take a stand! Show the world who you can become! Show every women that they have what it takes," Sam smiled.

"I appreciate what your saying....," Maddy sighed.

"I feel a bit coming on," Sam laughed.

"But.... deep down I feel like Steve should've given you the shield. I know the world needs a female Captain America, but we need a Black Captain America more," Maddy replied.

"Steve was always gonna give it to you.... you deserve it!" Sam said.

"To be honest... I don't even know if I want it," Maddy frowned.

"If not then we'll find someone," Sam smiled.

All of a sudden Maddy looked out the window and noticed they were pulling into a dock....

"Where are we?" Maddy asked.

"You'll see!" Sam laughed.

Maddy opened the door.... the smell of fish filled her nose, she threw her hand over her mouth and ran to the back of the car...... and threw up.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked, rushing towards Maddy.

"The baby doesn't like the smell," Maddy groaned.

"Right! I'm sorry.... I totally forgot," Sam sighed.

"It's okay," Maddy said.

"Why don't you and James stay in the car, I'll just be a few minutes," Sam smiled.

Maddy nodded.... standing up and wiping her mouth, and climbed back into the car where James dramatically hung over the seat.

"James... honey what are you doing?" Maddy asked.

"I feel like we've been in the car for hours... why are we here? Where's daddy?" James asked.

"Daddy is getting help..... and Uncle Sam wanted us to come with him, he's got a surprise for us," Maddy smiled.

"Is it a puppy? A superhero suit?" James asked.

"Definitely not a puppy or suit," Maddy laughed.

"Why did you get sick? And did I hear you say baby?" James asked.

"Yes. You are going to be a big brother," Maddy smiled.

"Like Uncle Steve?" James asked.

"Yes," Maddy said.

"I'm gonna be the big brother ever!" James smiled, placing a kiss on Maddy's cheek.