Chapter 13

Peggy, Maddy and Steve walk through a door... and were rudely greeted by General Phillips, and another man, in the back of the room
stood Howard.... who was working on something.

"That's Sentor Brandt," Peggy whispered.

"What've we got?" General Phillips said turning to look at Howard.

"Well speaking modestly, I'd say I'm the best mechanical engineer in the country," Howard replied.

Stark opens a hatch.... looking down at an impressive circuitry blinks inside.

"And I've got no idea what any of this is or how it works.... we're nowhere near capable of this technology," Howard sighed.

"Then who is?" Senator Brandt asked.

"Hydra," General Phillips said.

Senator Brandt gives General Phillips a crazy look.

"I'm sure you've read our briefing," General Phillips replied.

"I'm on a number of committees, General," Senator Brandt said.

"Hydra is the Nazi deep science division... it's led by Dr. Erskine's first test subject, Johann Schmidt," Peggy spoke up.

"Hydra is practically a cult....they worship Schmidt, think he's invincible," General Phillips said.

"So what are you going to do about it?" Senator Brandt questioned.

"I spoke with to the President this morning. As of today, SSR's are being re-tasked," General Phillips replied.

"General!" Both Peggy and Maddy said with a surprised tone.

"We're taking the fight to Hydra....pack your bags, Agent. You as well, Stark. The three of us fly to London tonight," General Phillips said.

"Sir, if you're going after Schmidt, I want in," Steve spoke up.

"Me too!" Maddy said.

"You both are experiments.... we're sending you both to Alamogordo," General Phillips smiled.

Maddy frowned.

"As what, lab rats? The serum clearly worked," Maddy said.

"I asked for an army.. and all I got was a girl and a skinny boy, you both aren't enough," General Phillips frowned.

Maddy and Steve look sunk... Senator Brandt waves them over to his side.

"With all due respect, General... I think we may be missing the point, you've seen Steve and Maddy I'm action. Most importantly, the whole country has seen it," Senator Brandt smiled.

Senator Brandt aides over a copy of the New York Examiner titled Nazi Saboteur Foiled! Mystery Man And Woman Save Civilians! Underneath the title was a picture of Steve and Maddy standing next to one another... Steve was holding a car door and Maddy had her hands on her hips.

Maddy and Steve looked at Senator Brandt with such surprise... they didn't understand why or how he stood up for them.

"They need to be out there, showing the world what the America men and women are made of," Senator Brandt paused looking between Maddy and Steve.

"Do you want to serve your country? On the most important battlefield in this war," Senator Brandt continued.

"It all we want," Maddy said.

"Congratulations! You've both been promoted," Senator Brandt smiled.

Maddy stood there completely stunned... but something inside her, told her that this promotion wasn't what they were asking for.... she shrugged it off, and decided to go along with it.