Chapter 48

"OW!" Banner yelled...

Maddy and Steve quickly rush into the lab, only to find Tony using a miniature electrical prod on Banner.

"Nothing?" Tony asked.

"Hey! Are you nuts?!" Steve yelled.... mostly looking at Banner.

"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed? Tony questioned.

"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve asked.

"Funny things are," Tony smirked.

Maddy quietly snorted..... Tony looked over at her and smiled.

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense, Doctor," Steve replied.

"No, it's alright. I wouldn't have to come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things," Banner shrugged.

"You're tiptoeing, big man! You need to strut," Tony said.

"And you need to focus on the problem, Mr. Stark," Maddy smirked.

"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us and why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all variables," Tony replied.

"You think Fury is hiding something?" Steve questioned.

"He's a spy! He's the spy! His secrets have secrets," Tony said, but pointed over to Banner.

"It's bugging him too, isn't it?" Tony asked.

"Uh.... actually I just wanna finish my work here and....." Banner paused.

"Doctor?" Maddy asked.

"A warm light for all mankind, Loki's jab at Fury about the cube," Banner continued.

"I heard it," Steve replied.

"What about it?" Maddy asked.

Banner points towards Tony....

"Well, I think that was meant for you. Even if Barton didn't post that all over the news," Banner said.

"The Stark Tower? That big ugly building in New York?" Steve asked.... quickly getting a dirty look from Tony.

"It's powered by Stark's Reactors, self sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for what, year?" Banner replied.

"That's just a prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now," Tony shrugged.

"That's actually very smart!" Maddy smiled.

"So why didn't SHEILD bring you in on the Tesseract project? I mean, what are they doing in the energy business in the first place?" Banner asked.

"I should probably look into that once my decryption programmer finishes breaking into all of SHEILD's secure files," Tony said.

"I'm sorry, but did you say....?" Steve asked.

"Jarvis has been running it since I hit the bridge..... in a few hours we'll know every dirty secret SHEILD has ever tried to hide, anyone want a blueberry?" Tony replied.... holding out a bag.

"But aren't you confused why they want you around?" Maddy questioned.

"An intelligence organization that fears intelligence? Historically, not possible," Tony shrugged.

"I think Loki's trying to wind us up.... this is a man who means to start a war, and if we don't focus.... he'll succeed! We have orders. We should follow them," Steve said.

"Following is not really my style," Tony shrugged.

"Oh yes! Because you are all about style, aren't you?" Maddy laughed.

"Of all the people in this room, which two are; A: wearing spangled outfits, and B: not of any use?" Tony growled.

Maddy balled her fist... wanting so badly to punch Tony in the face, and rearrange his beard.

"Steve, Maddy.... tell me none of this smells a little funky?" Banner asked.

Maddy and Steve take in the possibility.... but both being obedient soldiers, they quickly shook it off.

"Just find the cube!" Steve ordered.

Roughly grabbing Maddy by the arm and dragging her out of the room....

"Steve would you let go!" Maddy frowned, slapping his arms away.

"We need to go see what SHEILD is really hiding..... now you can either come with me, or go back in the lab and continue to argue with them," Steve said.

"You could've just asked....instead of grabbing me like that," Maddy replied.

"I-I'm sorry.... I didn't mean to do that, just a habit I guess," Steve shrugged.

They both quietly walk towards the hull of the ship.