Chapter 69

As Maddy drives through the city, Fury instructs the car computer to make a call.

"Activating communications encryptions protocol," The car said.

"Open secure line zero-four-zero-five," Fury ordered.

"Confirmed," The car replied.

"This is Hill," a familiar voice said.

"I need you here in D.C. Deep shadow conditions," Fury ordered.

"Give me four hours!" The voice said.

"You have three, over," Fury replied.

Maddy noticed she was coming up on a red light, she gently pressed on the break and came to a complete stop..... she looked over and saw two police officers in the car next to them, the policemen looked at her and Fury with suspicion.

"Want to see the lease?" Maddy asked.

The police officers quickly sound their police horn before slowly taking off...

Maddy looked up and noticed the light was green, she quickly pressed the gas and started driving.

Suddenly another police car smashes into them, jerking them hard.

"Ouch," Maddy growled.

Maddy jerked her head up and noticed the car was surrounded by several other police cars... that crashed into them, Maddy turned towards Fury and noticed he was injured.

"Fractures detected. Recommend anesthetic injection," The car spoke up.

Maddy quickly grabs the injection and stabs Fury in the arm....

"D.C. Metro police dispatch shows no units in this area," The car said. 

Maddy looked around and noticed they were completely surrounded by the police and SWAT team, she quickly realized they are all disguised mercenaries.... Maddy turned her head towards the computer.

"GET US THE HELL OUT OF HERE!" Maddy yelled.

The mercenaries suddenly start shooting....

"Propulsion systems offline," The Car said.

"Then reboot damnit!" Maddy growled.

The armor on the vehicle starts to become weaker, the mercenaries bring out a battering ram to break in.

"Warning! Window integrity compromised," The car replied.

"You don't say! How long to propulsion?" Maddy asked.

"Calculating," The car paused.

The mercenaries start using the battering ram on the window..... where Maddy sat.

"Window integrity thirty-one percent. Deploying countermeasures," The car continued.

"Hold that order!" Fury yelled.

The battering ram smashed against the car window.... again.

"Window integrity nineteen percent," The car said.

Maddy's stomach began to twist and turn... in this moment she was terrified, but she kept a straight face.

"Wait!" Fury growled.

"Window integrity one percent," The car replied.

"NOW!" Maddy yelled, quickly grabbing her gun out of her boot.

She turned to Fury and noticed him holding a mini gun.... they both nodded and started returning the fire on the mercenaries causing the SWAT truck and some police cars to explode.

"Propulsion system now online!" The car said.

"Full acceleration, now!" Fury ordered.... looking over at Maddy, who stepped on the gas petal.

"Flight system damaged," The car said.

"Then activate guidance cameras!" Fury ordered.

Fury looked over at Maddy....

"Give me the wheel," Fury said.

Fury quickly takes over driving, while Maddy climbs into the backseat..... she kicks out the window and starts shooting the mercenaries as they chase after them, in police cars.

"GET ME AGENT HILL!!" Fury yelled.

"Communication array damaged," The car replied.

Maddy leaned over the seat and frowned....

"Well, what's not damaged?" Maddy asked.

"Air conditioning is fully operational.... traffic up ahead," The car said.

"Alternative route?" Maddy questioned.

"Traffic alert on Roosevelt Bridge. All vehicles stopped. 17th Avenue clear three blocks, directly ahead," The car replied.

As Fury heads into traffic, Maddy continued to shoot at the mercenaries....

Suddenly Maddy's body was jerked around, she looked up and noticed Fury had smashed into some cars causing a pile up, which quickly stopped the police cars, the mercenaries get out and start shooting again.

Maddy pocked her head out the window and shot at two mercenaries, killing them.... she sighed in relief.

Fury looked in the mirror and checked on Maddy.

"Miss Rogers, you're bleeding! Are you okay?" Fury questioned.

"I'm fine, you look much worse then me.... Are you okay?" Maddy asked...climbing back up to the front.

The remaining mercenaries continue to chase after him and manage to sandwiching the car between them.....

"Warning approaching intersection," The car spoke up.

As Fury managed to shake off the two police cars, killing off the mercenaries....

"GET US OFF THE GRID!!" Maddy yelled.

"Calculating route to secure location," The car said.

Maddy looked up and saw a mysterious figure.... but yet very familiar, the figure emerges ahead which suddenly shoots a bomb that attaches itself underneath the car....

Causing a huge explosion... flipping the car over.

Maddy and Fury watch as the figure walks towards the car....

Fury pulled out a laser weapon and started to burn a hole out...

"I know where we can go," Maddy breathed out, holding her side.

"Your apartment? He's been there already," Fury said.

"Well actually.... I moved in with Steve, he didn't want me to be alone, especially when this guy keeps showing up out of nowhere," Maddy said.

They both quickly jumped down the hole and ran towards Steve's apartment.