Chapter 82

"GSW. she's lost at least a ping!" Maria yelled, down a long dark hallway.

"Maybe two," Sam added.

"Let me take her," A voice said walking up towards them.

"She'll want to see him first," Maria smiled.

Maddy slowly walked behind everyone.... her head was dropped and she kept messing with her hands.

"H-He's alive," Maddy mumbled.

They all walked into a bright open room, there lying on a bed was none other than Nick Fury.

"About damn time!" Fury said... but he stopped and looked over at a very uneasy Maddy.

Natasha sat up on a table while she was being treated.... Maddy walked over towards her.

"I'm sorry," Maddy said.

"For what?" Natasha asked.

"You wouldn't have gotten shot if it wasn't for me.... he was after me," Maddy sighed.

"I told you before that if it came to saving your life I would.... and I want you to know it will get better," Natasha smiled.

Maddy walked over to Fury and smiled.

" I had a lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache," Fury said.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung," The Doctor added.

"Oh, let's not forget that! Otherwise I'm good and I owe it all to Maddy... if it weren't for you I most definitely would be dead," Fury replied.

"We saw them cut you open....your heart stopped," Natasha said.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat per minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it," Fury shrugged.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asked.

"Because they wanted it to look successful... if he told us then we wouldn't have played the part right," Maddy spoke up.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust," Fury said.

**************

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said * Peace wasn't an achievement, it was responsibility. * See it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues," Fury said, looking down at a picture of him and Pierce.

"We have to stop the launch!" Natasha replied.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury frowned.... he walked over to a case and opened it, revealing three chips.

"What's that?" Sam asked.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized," Maria said.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Fury replied.

"One or two cut it. We need to link all three helicarriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remain operational a whole lot of people are gonna die," Maria said looking at Maddy, Steve and Sam.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe...just maybe, we can salvage what's left....." Fury sighed.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD," Steve spoke up.

Maddy looked up.

"SHIELD has nothing to do with it," Fury said.

"You gave us this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you've said this yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed," Steve replied.

"Why do you think we are meeting in this cave?! I've noticed," Fury frowned.

"And how many paid the price before you did!" Maddy spoke up.

"Look, Maddy I didn't know about Barnes," Fury sighed.

"Even if you did, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentlized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes," Maddy growled.

"She's right," Maria said.

Fury looked around at everyone.

"Don't look at me. I do what they do, just slower," Sam shrugged.

"Well.... looks like you both are giving the orders now, Captain.... Miss," Fury smiled.