Chapter 143

A few months had gone by since Maddy had given birth to her beautiful angel....she sat on the floor and started packing up her things, getting ready to move into her new home that was given to her by Tony and Pepper. As Maddy began wrapping up some pictures, she came across a few pictures that were taken....at the wedding, she ran her fingers across the glass...trying to remember how Bucky felt. 

"Oh Bucky," Maddy whispered.

A few tears gathered in her eyes...and soon fell. Falling onto the glass.

"You both were so happy that day," A voice said behind Maddy.

Maddy jumped a little...startled, turning to look over her shoulder, seeing Steve leaning up the doorframe.

"Steve! You scared me," Maddy replied.

"Sorry," Steve smiled.

"Where's James?" Maddy asked.

"Natasha is putting him to sleep," Steve said.

Maddy continued to pack.....

Steve walked towards her....sitting down beside her.

"Do you have to go?" Steve asked.

"No. But I need to do what is best for James," Maddy sighed.

"And what is that?" Steve asked.

"He can't grow up here! This is no place for a child to grow up," Maddy said.

"True! But he's still young....and you'll need help," Steve sighed.

Maddy turned to look at him....hearing how sad he sounded.

"Come with me! There's plenty of room!" Maddy smiled.

  "I can't....I need to stay here," Steve whispered.

"Why?" Maddy asked.

"This is my home," Steve shrugged.

"I disagree! Your home is with me and James," Maddy said.

"Maddy....its time to let me go," Steve replied.

"I can't! And stop sounding like one of us is dying," Maddy frowned.

"I'm sorry but its the truth," Steve said.

"But it's not! You are all I have left....from the past," Maddy whispered, trying so hard not to cry again.

"But we aren't living in the past anymore, and you have a son," Steve sighed.

Maddy quickly placed the pictures in the box....and closed it shut.

"I promised our mother...before she died! That I would make sure we'd stay together," Maddy said.

"I don't remember that.... why haven't you told me this before?" Steve asked.

"Because before we didn't know what the future held!" Maddy replied.

"Maddy...please don't so this," Steve sighed.

Maddy stood up....anger filled her.

"Do what?!" Maddy asked.

"Don't make me push you away," Steve said.

"You wouldn't dare!" Maddy snapped.

"I'm sorry! I'm doing what's best for you and James....Bucky would want this," Steve replied.

Maddy raised her hand and slapped Steve across the face.....

"YOU ASSHOLE!" Maddy cried, quickly turning away from Steve.

Steve grabbed his face...shocked.

Maddy grabbed the last box and picked it up...walking towards the door, and stopped.

"It should've been you that dusted not him," Maddy said.

"Maddy don't say that," Steve replied.

"I WILL SAY IT OVER AND OVER! BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!" Maddy snapped.

"It's better this way....that you're mad at me," Steve sighed.

"I'm not mad!" Maddy growled.

"Then what?" Steve asked, prepared to hear what she had to say next.

"I HATE YOU! IT'S YOUR FAULT HE'S GONE....IF YOU WOULD HAVE JUST LEFT ME ALONE...NONE OF THIS WOULD'VE HAPPENED! I WOULDN'T HAVE LOST HIM AGAIN!" Maddy screamed.

Steve stumbled back...hurt by her words, but pushing her away was the only right thing.

Maddy rushed out of her old room....quickly moving through the long hallway. She stopped when she came across a large staircase. At the bottom was Natasha and James.

"Maddy are you okay?" Natasha asked.

Maddy took a few breaths and started walking down the stairs.

"I'll be okay," Maddy said.

"I heard the fight....Do you want me to come with you?" Natasha asked.

"No. I need to be alone," Maddy sighed.

Natasha walked along side Maddy....as they walked outside, towards an SUV that Tony let Maddy borrow.

"Take care of him," Maddy said, looking back at the large building...seeing Steve appear.

"I will," Natasha smiled.

Maddy placed the last box in the back of the SUV....closing it quickly and turned towards Natasha and James. Gently grabbing James and placing him in the car. Maddy turned to face Natasha once again and smiled....

"If you ever need anything I'm only a call away," Natasha smiled.

"If you need a drinking buddy....you know where to find me," Maddy said.

Natasha laughed, pulling Maddy into a hug.

"Goodbye old friend," Maddy whispered, pulling away.

Natasha turned on her heels and started walking back towards the building....Maddy hopped into the SUV and started to drive away. Not looking back once.