Chapter 111

Everyone gathered in the living room, Maddy sat next to Steve and watched Sam and Rhodes argue.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is more than you have," Rhodes frowned.

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asked.

"A 117 countries want to sign this! 117, Sam.... and you're just like 'No, that's cool. We got it'," Rhodes sighed.

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam asked.

"I have an equation!" Vision spoke up.

"Oh, great! This will clear everything up!" Sam frowned.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced people have grown exponentially..... And during the same period, number of potentially world ending events have risen at a commensurate rate," Vision said.

"Are you saying this is our fault?" Steve asked.... annoyance filled his voice.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge invites conflict! And conflict.... breeds catastrophe. Oversight.....oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand," Vision replied.

"BOOM!" Rhodes yelled.

Maddy looked over and saw Tony...who was laying on a couch with his hand covering his face, she frowned.

"Tony! You are being uncharacteristically non-hyper-verbal," Natasha mumbled.

"It's because he's already made up his mind," Maddy frowned.

"UGH! Boy, you sure know me so very well," Tony snapped, quickly grabbing his head.... pain filled his eyes.

"A-Actually... I'm currently nursing a massive headache. That's what's going on Maddy! It's just pain. It's discomfort. UGH! Whose putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a very unmannered biker gang?" Tony sighed, standing over the sink.

"Perhaps," Maddy mumbled.

Suddenly Tony projects a picture of a young man.... happiness filled the mans eyes.

"This is Charles Spencer, by the way! He was a great kid! Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be if service. Charles didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. But he decided to spend summer building sustainable housing for the poor! GUESS WHERE? Sokovia!" Tony frowned.

Maddy looked around and noticed everyone looked affected by what he had said.

"He wanted to make a difference, I suppose! I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form it takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys," Tony sighed.

"Tony! Someone dies on your watch, you simply don't give up," Maddy said.

"I'm sorry....W-Who said we're giving up?" Tony asked.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blames," Steve replied.

"I'm sorry! Steve! That-that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about..... it's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA," Rhodes said.

"No! But it's run by people with agendas and agendas change," Maddy sighed.

"That's good! That's why I'm here. When realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stop manufacturing," Tony replied.

"Tony, you chose to do that! If we sign this, we surrender our rights to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere  we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest are still our own," Steve said.

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact! That won't be pretty," Tony replied.

"You're saying they'll come for me?" Wanda asked.

"We would protect you!" Vision said.

"M-Maybe Tony is right," Natasha sighed.

Maddy snapped her head towards Natasha....

"Are you crazy?!" Maddy said.

"If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off...." Natasha replied but was quickly cut off.

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asked.

"I'm just.....I'm reading the terrain. We have made.... some public mistakes.  We need to win their trust back," Natasha said.

"Focus up! I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you just agree with me?" Tony smiled.

"Oh I want to take it back now," Natasha sighed.

"NO, no, no, no. You can't retract it! Thank you! Unprecedented! Okay, case closed I WIN!" Tony smiled.

All of sudden Steve's phones started to buzz.... grabbing Maddy's attention.

"I-I have to go!" Steve said, quickly getting up and rushing away.

Everyone turned towards Maddy....

"I have to go as well," Maddy replied, standing up and rushing after Steve. 

Maddy walked down the stairs and saw Steve leaning up against a wall.... tears falling down his face.

"S-She's gone," Steve whispered.

"Oh Steven.... I'm so sorry," Maddy sighed, quickly pulling Steve in for a hug.

Steve cried into her shoulder....crying over the girl he owed a dance, the woman who had his heart.