Chapter 76

Maddy, Steve and Natasha walked through the doors of the mall...

"First rule of going on a run is, don't run, walk," Natasha said.

"If Steve runs in those shoes, they're definitely gonna fall of," Maddy laughed.

They all three started walking towards the Apple store... Maddy walked in first, rushing towards a computer.

"The drive has a level six homing program, so soon as we boot up SHIELD will know exactly where we are," Natasha said.

"So how much time do we actually have?" Maddy questioned looking around the store.

"To be honest? Probably about nine minutes, from....." Natasha paused.

Maddy looked over Natasha shoulder.

"Fury was right about that ship, somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI, it keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands," Natasha frowned.

"Can you override it?" Steve asked.

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly. I'm gonna try running a tracer. This is a program that SHIELD developed to track hostile malware, so if we can't reach the file, maybe we can find out where it came from," Natasha said.

"Can I help you guys with anything?" An Apple employee asked.

Maddy froze.... trying to remember the plan, they had discussed outside.

"Oh, no! My fiancé was just helping me with some honeymoon destinations," Natasha smiled pulling Steve close to her.

The employee turned and looked at Maddy... she noticed he was blushing.

"Ma'am, how can I help you?" The employee asked.

"I-I'm actually their wedding planner! And I'm helping them pick out romantic places to spend their honeymoon....." Maddy paused and looked at the computer.

"And I think New Jersey is a wonderful place!" Maddy continued.

"Shouldn't a wedding planner be dressed up more?" The employee asked.

Maddy laughed.... with such fake-ness.

"Oh well you see it's my off day!" Maddy snapped.

The employee jumped a little, and took a few steps back.

"Anyhow! Yess we are getting married, and we are very excited," Steve smiled.

"C-Congratulations. New Jersey is a very b-beautiful place," The employee replied.

"Yes New Jersey!" Steve said.... looking over at Maddy, pointing at the screen.

Maddy looked closer and sighed when she noticed where the signal was being traced from.... the place they both knew so very well, the place that was filled with memories.

"Oh hey! I have the exact same glasses," The employee smiled pointing at Steve's glasses.

"Well I'll be damned, you guys are practically twins," Maddy laughed.

"Well do you guys need anything else, just let me know!" The employee smiled weakly before walking away.

"Thank you!" They all three said.

"You said nine minutes, come on," Steve said.

"Shh, relax. GOT IT! You guys know this place?" Natasha asked.

"We use to, but we should go," Steve said.

Maddy quickly pulled the flash drive out of the computer and they all three walked out of the store.

"Standard tac-team. Two behind, to across, two coming straight at us. If they make us, we'll engage, you hit the south escalator to the metro," Steve whispered into Maddy and Natasha's ear.

"Shut up and put your arm around me, laugh at something I said," Natasha said.

Maddy quickly dropped her head and pulled out her phone.... trying to make it look like she was texting, she started to fake giggle.

Steve quickly wrapped his arm around Natasha and started to laugh.

They all three started making their way towards the escalator...

Maddy looked at the bottom of the escalator and noticed Rumlow.... slowly stepping on the escalator.

"You two need to kiss now!" Maddy said.

"What?" Steve asked.

"Yes, Steve kiss me! Public display of affection make people very uncomfortable," Natasha replied, grabbing Steve by the collar and pulling him into a kiss.

Maddy bent over and started to mess with her shoes... shoving the flash drive into her sock.

They all three quickly walked off the escalator and started making their way towards the exit.

"You still uncomfortable?" Maddy laughed.

"That's not exactly the word I would use," Steve frowned.