Chapter 99

The was a gentle knock on the door....

"Maddy? Hey kiddo... open up!" A very calming voice said.

Maddy stood up and wiped her face.... she turned around and opened the door.

"W-What do you want Steve? You can't make me stay.... I'm leaving," Maddy sighed, moving away from the door.

"Don't leave! Stay here...We-I need you, I need my sister," Steve said.

"The one person... who I knew would ever turn their back on me did! I don't belong here Steve," Maddy replied.

"Just stay until we catch Ultron.... and afterwards you can leave," Steve sighed, regretting every word he said.

Maddy threw her body into Steve's... and cried into his chest.

"I'm so sorry," Maddy whispered.

"Hey! It's okay....there's no need to be sorry, I should be sorry," Steve smiled, putting his chin on top of her head.

Maddy pulled away and wiped her face... finally calming down.

"Thank you.... for checking up on me," Maddy smiled weakly.

"Kiddo I will always check in on you... you are the only family I got left, you mean everything to me," Steve said.

"That was so cheesy!" Maddy laughed.

"What can I saw? I'm a cheesy guy!" Steve smiled.

"No! That was just plain cheesy... but you are just weird," Maddy said.

Maddy turned around.... back facing Steve, she bit her lip... wanting to tell him about Bucky... but knew she couldn't.

"I'll stay until the mission is done! And maybe I'll stay even longer to hang out with you," Maddy said.

"What made you change your mind?" Steve asked... sensing a sudden change in his sister mood.

"I'm only human! I shouldn't let some jerk tear me down..." Maddy replied.

"Well technically a super human..." Steve smiled.

Maddy suddenly yawned... Steve nodded and started walking out of her room. He stopped and turned around.

"You know you can always talk to me, right?" Steve asked.

Maddy nodded and closed the door... climbing up on the bed, not caring if she was still in her party outfit... as soon as she laid her head on the pillows, she was consumed by darkness.. drifting into a deep slumber.

                            **********

The next morning.... Maddy woke up early, she quickly cleaned herself up and slipped into some baggy sweats and an oversized sweater.

Maddy moved quickly into the kitchen, and grabbed a cup.... pouring some coffee into it.

Suddenly Steve and Maria walked into the kitchen.... talking about Ultron.

"Fatalities?" Steve asked.

"Only when engaged. Mostly guys left in a fugue state going on about old memories, worst fears, and something too fast to see," Hill said.... glancing over at Maddy.

"Maximoffs? Well, that makes sense he'd go to them, they have a certain someone in common," Maddy spoke up.

"Not anymore," Hill sighed... handing the tablet to Maddy.

Maddy frowned... while looking at a photo of Strucker's dead body with the word PEACE written in blood on the wall behind him.

"That's just awful," Maddy sighed, handing the tablet back.

"Let's go gather everyone and fill them in!" Steve said.

Maddy and Maria nodded.