family isn't always blood-related - part two (requested)

You stood in the doorway, watching as Demi tucked in Sophia and ran her fingers through her hair.

It felt so nice to see the smile back on her face after everything that's happened over the last few weeks.

After Ben returned, he took you to court time and time again. Each time, he was denied custody. Because he was absent for so many years, refusing to even send Sophia so much as a birthday card. He had no case and therefore, has no custody.

But he hasn't seemed to stop. He's relentless, turning up at your doorstep too many times for you to count. Late in the night or early in the morning, knowing those would be the hours you'd definitely be home.

It became too much for you to handle. The vicious words he'd spew at you, the way he'd talk about your relationship with Demi. You weren't afraid of him for your sake, but you didn't want your little girl to be dealing with the fear that his words and his loud, booming voice would cause. So you decided to file a restraining order, telling them that he just won't stop, and they were on your side a hundred percent of the way, making sure the three of you were safe and sound; protected at all costs.

You could hear Demi singing nightingale to Sophia. Her hand held onto Demi's much bigger one, a small smile on her face as she drifted off to sleep with only good dreams in her mind.

You could've spent forever in that moment. It was beautiful and heartwarming, and you never wanted it to end.

But the doorbell sounded only a moment later. Demi turned her head and Sophia's eyes flew open quickly.

"It's alright." You soothed. "I'll be back. I'm sure it's nothing."

"Y/n," Demi spoke before you could head down the hall and down the stairs. "If it's him yell for me. I'll be there in a heartbeat."

You nodded and headed down the stairs.

It rang again and then again and you yelled out, "Hang on a second!"

You turned the knob quickly and your heart sank when you saw Ben standing there.

You groaned and rolled your eyes. "Ben, you can't be here. You know this!"

"Where is she?"

"None of your business! You have no right to be here! Not only do you not have custody and no rights to see her, but we also have a restraining order against you! You have to stop this! Let it go."

He huffed and slammed his hand against the door when you tried to close it. His foot blocked it, keeping it open. His eyes were filled with anger and as much as you hated to admit it, you felt fearful. Not for you, but for your two loves upstairs.

"Let. Me. See. Her." He spoke, venom in his voice.

"Demi!"

"Oh! Rich!" He laughed, causing a chill to run down your spine. "You think I'm afraid of your girlfriend?"

"You should be," Demi spoke, coming down the stairs quickly. "I took jujitsu. And, I already warned you not to come back here. You're not allowed here. Now, I'll give you one chance to turn around and walk to your car and never return here again."

"No." He spoke angrily, jaw clenched and teeth grinding.

"Call the police," Demi instructed, but she didn't look at you; she only continued to stare Ben down.

He went to throw a punch, but Demi was quick and grabbed his fist instead.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." She warned. "I don't know why it's so hard for you to get it through your brain, but Sophia doesn't want to see you. She doesn't want anything to do with you. You never wanted anything to do with her until a few weeks ago. Look at how many years you missed! She's happy and if you care about her as much as you claim you do, you'll let her be."

He huffed and dropped his fists. But his jaw was still clenched. Although now, he couldn't look Demi in her eyes.

"No matter how many times you take us to court, you'll still have no rights. You have a restraining order against you for a reason. Let us live in peace."

He parted his lips, a scoff falling from them before he went to speak. But he froze at the sound of sirens coming closer and closer until the flashing lights were right in front of him in the driveway.

The officers came to the door and you joined Demi. Little footsteps could be heard before Sophia wrapped her arms around your waist, clinging to you hard.

Ben just let out a sigh as the officers took him away, assuring you that he wouldn't bother you again.

Demi closed the door and picked up Sophia. you both kissed her cheeks and promised her it was all gonna be okay.

It was over now. She was right where she belonged, and she wasn't going anywhere else.