someone breaks in (requested)

The sound of glass shattering downstairs pulled Demi out of her light sleep. She sat upright, wondering if maybe your newly adopted and rather excited and energetic puppy had knocked something over downstairs. But when she heard the sound of a voice coming from downstairs and things being tossed around, she knew it wasn't him.

Her heart was in her throat. Adrenaline was rushing through her as she rolled over to wake you up.''Y/n! Wake up! Right now!'' She whisper-yelled before tiptoeing quickly to the door.

She turned the lock before rushing back to grab her phone. "Demi? What's going on?" You asked, now wide awake and a little anxious over her frantic state. "There's someone in the house. I'm calling the police. Quick, go to the closet or to the bathroom!"

You bolted to the closet and Demi followed. She quietly closed the door, in case the intruder was close and listening for any noises. You could faintly hear the sound of the 911 operator on the phone. "911 what is your emergency?"

It was in that moment that you heard banging come from outside the bedroom as if someone was pounding on the door. "I need help! There's an intruder in my home and I think they're just outside the bedroom!" Demi panicked. She was trying to stay quiet, you both were, but you were scared and withy every slam and kick against the door you were startled, gasps falling from your lips.

"Okay. The police on their way. I need you to try to stay calm and quiet, okay? I'll be on the phone with you until they arrive."

"H-How long will that be?" You interjected, lip quivering out of fear.

"They're about six minutes away."

You nodded and reached for Demi's hand. You gripped it tightly. "I'm scared," you whispered out. "I know but I won't let anything happen to you. It's gonna be alright."

You tried to believe her. You wanted to believe her. But another wave of fear washed over you when you heard the door break down from the force of the intruders kick. You rested your head on Demi's shoulder and bit your lip to stay quiet.

A couple of minutes of pure terror and complete silence from you and Demi passed. All you could hear was footsteps and the sound of things being dumped onto the bed and the floor as the person dug through your valuables.

Demi squeezed your hand and right as she did, you heard the sirens coming from outside. "Shit!" The intruder swore. The voice was deep and the footsteps that trailed out of the room and down the stairs were loud and heavy.

You breathed out a sigh of relief... but too soon.

There were more footsteps.

You could hear them trailing to the door. A tear fell from your eye and it hit Demi's shirt. She tightened her grip on your hand and when the door was thrown open a minute later you both screamed. "It's okay, it's okay! It's the police. You're safe now."

Demi got up first. Your legs felt like jelly when she helped you to your feet.

They walked you both down the stairs and to your relief, you saw the man just outside being placed in handcuffs and being read his rights. He turned his head your way and you finally caught a glimpse of what he looked like; he was young and it was sad to think he had just thrown a couple of years of his life away by doing what he did tonight.

"You ladies alright?"

The cop asked as you and Demi sat on the couch. You dropped your head to her shoulder and you both took a few minutes to breathe and try to calm down. "Yeah, I think we're alright," Demi said as she put her arm around you and brought you closer to her.

The cops asked you both a few questions before they left. You watched them drive away with the intruder in the back, headed off to where he belonged - jail.

You watched out the window; staring out at the darkness and listening to the crickets chirp. You were wide awake now, even though it was only 6 am. You jumped a little when Demi came up behind you and wrapped her arms around you. "It's okay, princess. It's only me."

She laid a few kisses to your cheek while you leaned against her shoulder. "I love you. He's gone and we're safe now. I won't let anything happen to you." You nodded, still silent.

"Okay. It's obvious neither of us is getting back to sleep, so let's go watch a movie together."

She took your hand and led you inside. "Okay. But nothing scary."

Demi laughed. "Okay, baby girl. Anything you want."