Ch. 11 - Ritual

The autumn days fell by as fast as the leaves from the trees. The sun rose and set as if it was on fast-forward, as if there was some divine hurry to reach the winter.

It was nearing the end of October, the Halloween feast was due for next week and the midterm testing was completed much to everyone's relief - now they just had to wait impatiently for the much appreciated results.

Although Severus Snape had forbidden any kind of childish decorations and the trade-mark Hogwarts Halloween parties, Alice and her friends still vowed to make the most of the holiday.

What was the worst they could do? Kill her?
Well Alice was way beyond dead, so the threat didn't dampen her spirits in the slightest.

Alice sat in a large oak tree, swinging her legs too and fro. The autumn breeze tousled her hair and pinked her cheeks. She carefully slid the elastic band from her wrist and tied up her hair, removing the risk of someone seeing the long and shiny black scales that refused to be removed.

Her curse was getting harder and harder to manage, sleeping potions wearing off too soon, transforming without warning, even when she wasn't asleep.

Alice was running out of time.

The warmth that had been in the wind just last week had either evaporated into the sky or leached into the earth. Gingerly, Alice opened her book and placed it beside her so she could read and still grip either side of the bark on which she sat.

Small rays of sunlight streaked through the gaps in the leaves of the branches, shadows dancing like ballerinas on the pages of her book.

Silently, a large leaf fluttered down, spiralling in circles before it landed on the open book. Alice adored any escape she managed to get from the well beloved school. An escape from the hustle and bustle, an escape from the noise.

Although, come to think of it the girl did notice the sudden silence.

Usually she would've just been settled, her book opened, her eyes scanning the words and characters coming to life when Blake decided to make an appearance and attempt to bore her with his endless amount of useless facts.

For example, did you know a blob of toothpaste is called a nurdle?

Alice was never bored, she enjoyed having friends, and since the wonderful spell McGonagall had placed on her had done it's job, she had become invisible to the Carrows.

She was almost enjoying her short time left.

Curious about the silence, Alice placed a stray twig in her book and pushed herself off the branch and landed gracefully on the soft ground below her. She adjusted the book under her arm and headed into the Great Hall, where most where still having Lunch.

"You seen Blake around Eric?" Alice asked as she sat down at the Slytherin table much to everyone's distaste. "I was reading and he didn't bother me, that is a non-Blake thing to do"

He swallowed a spoonful of soup. "No I haven't, have to admit though, kind miss his annoying outbursts"

"That's three days in total now, he missed the last two days of midterms and today. This happened last month too you know. Him disappearing"

"I know, you wouldn't stop pestering me then either" Eric coughed to cover up his slight chuckle at the sight of her worried expression. "He'll show up, he always does"

"Yeah alright"

Eric frowned, noticing how slightly sickly she looked.
"Here have some soup, you look worn out Alice"

"I'm al-"

"Take the soup child"

"I'm not a child" Alice pouted playfully.