Ch.12 - Awful agreements.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"THEN WE WILL MAKE
IT RIGHT"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"Come in" said the gruff voice of David Baxter, scribbling down useless writing on different documents, trying to save the  circus. "What do you want?"

James walked in, faced with the horrid look of his father.
He had been working up the courage for days to talk to him, and even now he didn't think it was great.

"I need to speak to Rue" he said, not making eye contact with anything but the floor.

"I told you already, she's bad news" he said, looking down again. "You don't know what she's done"

"That's why i need to see her"

"Well that's not happen' not while those are on"

David gestured to the heavy shackles on his wrists which caused James pain everyday.

"Surprise, surprise" he mumbled, hoping his father wouldn't hear. "You told me these could come off when I turned eighteen, and that happened three days ago"

"Well I've changed my mind" he huffed.

"But-"

"James, I'm under enough pressure as it is, please, leave me alone"

"What if-"

"Leave it"

"What if I got the Maledictus back?" James suggested.
David placed down his pen and leaned forward in his chair, intrigued.

"And how do you suppose you do this?"

"If you take these off and let me talk to Rue, I can sort something out, I promise I'll have her here by Christmas"

David beckoned his son over and with two waved of his wand, the shackles were  broken in two.

"I have no idea where Rue may be, but you have my full permission to see her"

"Thank you father" said James, making his way to the door.

"Don't forget, get the girl, or you know what happens"

James nodded sadly as he shut the door behind him, the happiness tried to break through, but it was almost impossible.

"What the bloody hell have I agreed to"

                             ~*~

"Ms. Banks would never agree to something like that!" exclaimed Alice after a long period of silence.

"It's only a theory, Alice" said Lupin calmly, hoping Alice wouldn't freak out, he had been warned about her regular panic attacks and so forth.

"I don't want theories, I want answers!" she shouted. "Henry is the only one I have left, and I've lost him twice before, but I need him alive!"

Tears brimmed her eyes as she looked out the window.
She didn't mean to shout but her entire life she was told that her brother would he okay, but he never was.

"You need to find him, I don't have long left, I need to see the stars. Just one last time"

The tears began falling one by one.
Lupin placed a gentle arm around her and she buried her head in his shoulder.

"Please-"

"Shhhhh, it's all going to be alright. We will find him" Lupin hushed.

"But what if it isn't?" she asked, looking at him.

"Then we will make it right"

                              ~*~

Knock Knock.

"COMING!" shouted Rue, turning off the stove, heading towards the door of the small cottage she called home. "Oh, it's you"

She looked at James up and down, judging him and her blood boiling.

"That wasn't the greeting I hoped for" he smiled, hoping she was lying or just making a joke.

"Well I don't think it's much of a surprise since the last thing you said to me, and I quote, Rue please. Go away. I hate you!"

"I didn't mean that! What's going on with you?"

Rue took a deep breath, trying not to freak out, or let her secrets spill out.
She didn't know which would be worse.

"I think you best be going" she said. "I don't interact with people who suddeny hate me"

"Rue, I came to apologise!" said James quickly, just as she began to shut the door.

"I don't want to hear it James"

"Rue, what's going on?" he asked, beginning to feel desperate. "I'm really confused"

Rue felt a rush of emotion, a burning sensation inside her that almost brought tears to her eyes. She had once considered James her best friend, but it could never be like that again.
Not after she betrayed him in more ways than he thinks.

"Rue? Why aren't you-"

"James, listen to me"

"Hello? That's what I'm try-"

"No just......listen. Don't say anything else, okay? Just listen to me"

He paused. A small okay escaped his lips, a quite, almost scared.
Rue couldn't control her anger anymore. Rage pulsed inside of her.

"James. Go away"

"Rue-"

"No. Don't say anything. Just.......leave me alone. And you can tell your father that in done playing his stupid games. Tell him I'm done!"

He waited a few moments before, responding okay. Another pause.

"Okay. Then I just have one last thing left to say to you"

Rue sighed. "I can't wait"

"The only thing worse than a boy who hates you, is a boy who loves you. And I'm not afraid to admit it anymore. I love you Rue Banks, and I always will"

He placed a light kiss upon her dry lips before sadly waving goodbye.

Seconds later, he was gone.