Ch.14 - Murtlake Water

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"AND IF WE DON'T
NOBODY WILL"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Much later, Harry returned and Hermione had prepared a bowl of Murtlake water to help the stinging.
They all agreed they needed to talk to Alice, because they had a feeling, that if she didn't talk to someone, that she'd make some rash decision.

"Alice?" Harry called. "Alice, everyone is gone"

"Mr. Malfoy said I should stay away from everyone, including him" she whispered, just loud enough so they could hear.
They exchanged glances, something was going on, and they needed to figure it out, fast.

"Alice, we really need to talk to you" said Ron kindly.

"There's no point, I'm leaving tomorrow" she admitted, wishing she hadn't said anything.
The trio exchanged glances, and they knew it was now or never if they wanted to help her.

"Alice, we need to talk to you. We want to help you" said Harry.

"And if we don't help, nobody will" added Ron, trying to entice her out with a smile.

Alice heaved a sigh and realised that if she didn't come out now, they would eventually drag her out.

She hid behind her hair, and crawled out, sitting in front of them.

The boys looked at Hermione who glared at them before turning to Alice.

"Alice, you are not alright, and you need to tell us what's happening" she said softly, holding her hands. "Why do you want to leave Hogwarts?"

"It's a stupid-"

"Alice, nothing will ever be stupid, everything happens for a genuine reason" said Ron, and Hermione smiled at him over her shoulder and it made him really smart for once.

"There's nothing that can fix this" she croaked, tears, determined not to fall. "You don't know what it's like, to have teachers scream at you because your a Hippogriff could write better than you, or in potions, your potion isn't complete because you can't read what's on the board!"

She was bawling now.
You might've thought that a weight may have been lifted off her shoulders, but another one had been weighed on.

She had just told someone what has been happening.
They are bound to figure out that she isn't a Malfoy, but that was the bit she needed to keep a secret.

"I can't read or write!" she sobbed and Hermione eyes were full of pity for her.
They all felt terrible for making fun of her for not knowing simple things like cows, or Halloween.

The trio was silent as Hermione embraced Alice like an older sister.

"I need to go home" she sobbed into Hermione's shoulder. "I can't stay here any longer"

Hermione pulled away, and pushed Alice's hair behind her ears.
This was the first time, they actually saw her face.

"Hogwarts is a home for everyone, including you Alice. As perfect, Ron and I try to make this place a home and a caring environment. You leaving is like us failing. Alice, we are here for you until the very end"

Alice smiled properly for the first time in weeks.
She flung her arms around Hermione, causing her to almost fall over.

Harry and Ron joined in, and for once Alice felt like she had not only friends, but a family too.

But there was still one question Hermione still had.
Why couldn't she read or write, when she was the daughter of Lucius Malfoy, one of the richest and most popular pureblood families of all time?

But this was a question that wouldn't be answered for ages.