Ch.5 - The Sorting Hat

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

GRYFFINDOR!

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Slipping and stumbling, the first years followed Ms. Grubbly-Plank down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. It was so dark either side of them, that Alice thought there must be trees on either side. Nobody spoke much, especially Alice. She even pulled up her hood, trying not to grab any unwanted attention.

There was a chorus of gasps was heard as the narrow path suddenly widened to the edge of a vast lake. Perched on top of the high mountain was a castle, its windows glistening like stars with many towers and turrets.

"No more than four in a boat please!" Ms. Grubbly-Plank repeated over and over again, but Alice was still the only one in her boat, even though the rest of the boats were as cramped as hell.

Just then, all the boats lurched forward and Alice clung to the side to prevent herself from falling in. They began gliding along the lake as if it was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent and looking up ahead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff where it stood as high as the skies.

They all bent their heads as the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy. They were carried along a dark tunnel, lit by flaming torches. The boats kept motoring on until they reached what looked like an underground harbour.

They all climbed out, carefully and full of excitement, well except for Alice, because she had tripped over her foot and fell into the black lake. And the worst bit was, she didn't know how swim. Even worse again, no one noticed.

After struggling and gasping for air, she finally felt the boat and pulled herself into it, coughing up all the water, she even found a fish in her hood.

She was the last person to enter the great hall and she was still soaking wet.

"What on earth happened?" cried a disgusted Grubbly-Plank.

"I-I-I fell o-out of the boat" she stuttered, looking at the floor.

"Get in, or you'll be late" she said, almost shouting.
Alice squeaked and ran in, catching up with her classmates.

A stern lady, with a tight bun at the top of her head led them into the entrance hall.
It was ginormous, you could fit the entire Circus, including the caravans in there.
The stone walls were lit with flaming torches and the ceiling was so high it was hard to make out.

They followed her across the flagged stone floor.
Alice could hear the drone of the hundreds of school students waiting for the feast to begin.

The lady showed them to a small empty chamber off from the hall. They crowded in, standing closer together than they normally would've, peering about nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts" she began, silencing the chatter. "I am Professor McGonagall. "The start of year banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. Your house will become your family and you will spend most of your time with them.
The four houses are; Slytherin, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Each house has its own noble history. House points will be rewarded, but you can also lose them.
The sorting will begin soon, so if you will follow me into the Great Hall.

Alice was sweating in fear.
This sorting test will determine if she stays at Hogwarts for more than a year.

Feeling oddly as though her legs had turned to lead, Alice got into the line behind a boy with sandy hair.

Alice had never imagined such a magical place. The great hall was filled with thousands of floating candles. The tables were laid with golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall, there was another long table where all the teachers were sitting.

McGonagall placed a stool in front of them and took out a ratty old hat.
Alice thought they thought they might have to pull a rabbit out of it.
Noticing that everyone was staring at the hat, Alice stared at it too, not really knowing why.

The buzz in the Great Hall faded. The first years lined up in front of the staff table facing the rest of the students.

The first years' faces glowed pally in the candlelight.
Everyone in the room noticed Alice trembling with fear and the colonies of sweat gathering on her forehead.

The whole school waited with bated breath. Then the rip near the hats brim opened wide like a mouth and burst into song.

(I'm lazy, so I'm not bothered to type it out🙃)

But it wasn't it's usual song, this was a warning song.
It usually sings about the qualities about the four houses, but this time it sung about giving advice and upcoming warnings.

Once the hat became motionless; applause broke out, though it was punctured.

Professor McGonagall called attention, and everyone fell silent, but Alice's stomach lurched.
McGonagall lowered her eyes to the parchment, cleared her throat, and called out the first name.

"Abercrombie, Euan!"

Gryffindor!

"Blake, Lisa!"

Hufflepuff

"Lark, Marcus!"

Alice was in bits.
Her name was going to be called out soon, and she knew she wasn't Slytherin material.
She had a feeling this wasn't going to end well.

Syltherin!

As McGonagall fixed her small glasses on her nose and peered down to the parchment, Alice felt like throwing up.

"Malfoy, Alice!"

Everyone's head turned.
No one had ever heard of another Malfoy before so everyone was intrigued.

Alice hesitated before going any further, looking behind her to see Draco giving her a small smile, giving her the confidence she needed.

Terrified, she walked up to stool, but tripping over her foot and bashing her head on the step, causing a small cut to appear, but she ignored it.

"You'll be fine" said McGonagall kindly, before placing the hat on her head.

Once the hat was placed on her head, it fell down to her shoulders.
She couldn't see anything.
It smelt rotten.
Like rotten cheese, milk and eggs mixed together, but this hat had been around for centuries, so she was basically smelling the past.

The hat considered everything for a moment, not saying anything.
Perhaps making the odd frustrating groan.

She was waiting patiently as she could, playing with the hem of her dress and biting her lip.

Her heart started beating so fast she thought it might burst out of her chest when she heard the distance rip of the brim of the old hat.

Gryffindor!

The Gryffindor table erupted in cheers as the hat was lifted off her thin head.

She felt like crying.
She couldn't see Draco, but she knew that he would never talk to her again.

Trembling, she walked carefully down the steps. Cautious not to trip again, the previous bang still stinging and hurting.

She made her way down to the Gryffindor table, a good ways away from everybody else.

While the rest of the sorting continued, she buried her head in her hands and cried, because this was more than likely one of the last days she would be in Hogwarts.