Ch.39 - The Gift

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"I CAN BLOODY
TRY!"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Alice's stomach was churning at breakfast.
She couldn't deal with the weight of the information.
She felt like she was going to get sick.

She pushed her black hair behind her ears and spun around on the bench and tapped Draco on the shoulder.

He whirled around. "Hey Alice"

"I can't do this" she replied, shaking.

He turned back to his friends and mumbled something that made Zabini smirk.
He beckoned Alice to follow him out of the Great Hall.

Once they were sure the classroom was defiantly empty, Alice locked the door, her breathing heavy.

"Draco I can't" she said. "You can't do this, you have to tell someone!"

"Alice you don't understand-"

"Help me then!"

"Alice-"

"I want to help!"

"You can't!"

"I can bloody try!"

Draco drew in a breath.
Alice couldn't know.
It wasn't fair.

"Look" he said finally. "I don't want to do this either..."

"Then don't!" she cried like it was something he could do simply. "Please don't"

"I have to do this, he'll kill me" he answered. "He'll kill my whole family"

Alice processed this.
She understood what he meant immediatly.
And she regretted what said.

"Its my fault" she said, her eyes burning.

"What?"

"Its my fault" she repeated. "I escaped, I put your father in Azkaban and I killed my brother!"

She was sobbing now.
She sat down, putting her head in her hands, her shoulders shaking.

"Alice..."

Draco was beside her now, a hand on her shoulder. "Its not your fault"

"Yes-"

"No it isn't" he said firmly. "You didn't ask for this"

Alice nodded, not sure what else to say.
Her head was throbbing.
Everything was falling to pieces.

"Oh I almost forgot!" Draco said suddenly, breaking the silence, rummaging through is satchel. "I thought you might like this"

Alice wiped away the tears with the back of her hand, lifting her head.
Draco was standing with his arms outstretched, a piece of material in his hands.

Not any material.

It was soft, ragged, scarf-like.

It was Henry's scarf.

Alice took it from his hands, wrapping it around her neck, beaming so widely, her cheeks began to hurt.

But in a good way.

"Thank you" was all she could say and Draco could only smile weakly. "Really, thank you"

She pushed back her chair, and wrapped her arms around his neck.
He taken aback slightly, but quickly hugged back.
He had wronged this girl in so many ways, and the best he could do was give her back her dead brothers scarf?

He had to do more.

He was going to find Henry.