Ch. 16 - Oliver

Alice stood in her dress for the fourth time that day, the bodice hugging her waist in just the right way.

She twirled and giggled softly to herself admiring the person she had become. She could remember all the times she had been afraid, but here, surrounded by the frills and lace, she felt strong and proud, as if it had been there all along and had finally begun to blossom.

For once she felt beautiful.

The colour was a powder blue and reached her ankles, she would trip if it were any longer. Small flowers covered the bottom of the skirt, making their way up to the bodice where they circled her.

The girl picked up the necklace James had given her only a few months prior and fastened it around her neck, clutching the charm in her fist.

Henry? I'm ok, we're both going to be ok.

Just like all the other times Alice had tried, there was no response, just the feeling of her brother, the feeling that he was listening. She didn't know what to believe about him anymore.

Over the other side of the dorms were four other girls, whispering and laughing between themselves. One even had a camera, something Alice had only seen in books.

They looked so pretty with their hair done up in long braids and the type of bun a queen would wear so her crown sat perfectly upon her head.

She ran a hand over her cropped hair, sighing and trying to find the same joy she had earlier.

"Your dress is truly wonderful Alice"

Alice spun around so quickly she almost tangled herself in her dress, she had reached for her wand out of habit and the brown-haired girl flinched.

"I'm so sorry Lily," she said flustered. "I-I didn't mean...I was just-"

"Don't be silly" she said softly. "We're all on edge, but I was serious about the dress, it's stunning"

"T-Thank you" Alice smiled. "You too, that dress was made for you"

She hung her head smile disappearing "Listen, we know it was you who helped Rosie disappear"

"I was-"

"Thank you" Lily cut in, gentle. "Thank you for saving her life. She was my best friend Alice, I loved her and you saved her"

Before Alice could respond, the girl had flung her arms around her, squeezing until she felt her lungs begin to crush.

"You can't tell anyone Lily. I don't know what's going to happen to her if they find out"

"I would never tell them," she said but Alice was still unconvinced. "Look, can you just tell her I'm safe? That I'll look for her when all this is over?"

"Yes, yes of course I can do that for you. She's okay Lily, she's safe"

"I know she is. She had you there"

And without another word, Lily skipped back to her group saying something about Potions homework and Alice smiled to herself, she was right she had saved a life.

"Oi Adair!" another girl called, Alice wasn't sure of her name. "Want to be in the photo?"

The girl quickly declined politely but someone with long red hair had grabbed her arm, pulling her towards them. "Don't be silly" she giggled. "You've got to be in it"

Shoved in between the girls, arms draped across her shoulders, she felt happy and looked around at the smiling girls.

"With all of us dressed like this, you'd forget we're fighting a war," said Alice, laughing along to another joke.