Ch.17 - McGonagall

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"AND YOU'RE ALRIGHT
WITH THAT?"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

As much as Alice wanted to be happy about the sudden surprise of the letter from her old friend, she couldn't help but feel uneasy.
Something told her this wasn't something that she needed to be happy about.

"Alice? Come on, it's time for class!" shouted Ginny.

Alice stuffed the letter in her pocket, promising to look at it later.

She also had the problem of not having any books to worry about.
She would just have to stick on a brave face and take her punishment.

As soon as Ron laid eyes on her, he burst out laughing, gasping from the lack of air entering his lungs.

Alice turned bright red.
She knew what he was laughing at.
She looked like an idiot.

The robe sleeves were twice as long as her boney arms, the robe itself touched the ground and made a train at the back.

She felt as well as looked ridiculous, but it was better than detention.

"Where are your books?" asked Hermione, glaring at Ron, who tried to stop laughing but couldn't.

"I don't have any" she whispered, her right hand gripping the letter tightly in her hand.

"What do you mean you don't have any?" asked Hermione, almost annoyed. "Didn't you give Mrs. Weasley your book list?"

"It's kind of hard to give something to someone, when that something didn't exist" Alice mumbled.

Alice was keeping yet another thing from her new found friends, and you'll find out what this is in just a moment.

"I'm confused Alice" said Ron, kneeling down beside her. He had stopped laughing, only because he knew that things had gotten serious.

"I never got a Hogwarts letter" she admitted.

The trio exchanged glances, confused ones.
Hermione was sure she handed her a letter.

"I'm nearly positive I handed you one Alice" said Hermione, knowingly.

"You did" she replied. "But it wasn't mine. You gave me Ms. Weasley's letter. I didn't receive one"

Alice knew she wouldn't receive a letter.
Lucius enrolled her himself.
The letter was sent Malfoy Manor.

But how did she get on the train? I hear you ask.
No one noticed Alice slip onto the train, so that bit was surprisingly easy.

Alice wanted to give up, but she couldn't admit what happened over the summer before she started Hogwarts, that was privet, and she was the one to blame.