Ch. 6 - Train

THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS was late.

Alice was left shivering on the platform, waiting among other worried families.

"Keep the bandage on" whispered Henry.

"It's itchy" whined Alice, rubbing her nails along the sleeve of her jumper. The newly surfaced scales on her forearm caused her great discomfort.

"You don't want it to get infected"

"Of course not"

"Then keep the fucking bandage on"

Alice watched as Mrs. Weasley's empty cup of Earl Grey, a gentle chunk of lipstick staining the lid, landed in the bin with a slight flick of her wrist.

Alice picked at her hair. A rogue page newspaper was chased by the chilly wind like a pigeon with wings fluttering accompanied  by feathers of rhetoric and melodrama.

"Mum?" asked Ginny. "The train has never been late before, has it?"

Mrs. Weasley looked down at her daughter with a look of both concern and reassurance. "I'm sure it's nothing dear, the train it old, it may have broken down"

"What if it's-"

"It's not Ginny, it's not"

It was on everyone's mind.
How had Hogwarts changed since the death of their beloved headmaster?

They all knew one thing for certain, it was going to be no ordinary year at Hogwarts, especially with the unsettling feeling of Voldemorts eyes in every corner.

Waiting was an easy task for Alice,  unlike most others stranded on the platform for she had all the practice during her time locked up.

Her concept of time was different, she sat, let her mind empty and enjoy any bit of peace she managed to salvage.

Everyone seemed to come up with a million "we're screwed" situations and needed feedback or reassurance on every single one.

Alice found waiting on her own was simple, but with others it was exhausting.

Suddenly, they begun to hear the raucous, metallic shriek of the arrival of the decrepit carriages of the Hogwarts Express.

Although, it possessed corroded iron and tacky upholstery, far from perfection like the usual Hogwarts Express.

The doors reluctantly eased open with the force of a stocky station guard as if they were gripped by age, the handles stiff with arthritis.

"Mum that's not the Hogwarts Express" observed Ginny worryingly.

"That is correct, yes" Mrs. Weasley confirmed. "It's a knock-off, made terribly"

"That's not good is it?"

"No it isn't Ginny, no it isn't"

"Are you sure you should be going Alice?" asked Henry.

"I've already explained, it's safer for everyone" she replied placing her near to empty trunk on the train. "And besides, I need some sort of education"

"Alice" Henry placed a hand on her shoulder. "You know we want the best for you, but are you making the correct decision?"

Alice thought for a moment. "I don't know"

Henry sighed, hugging his sister tightly. "Promise me you'll be safe, and check in when possible"

"I promise"

Her brother raised an eyebrow.

"Double promise?" she smiled.

"Better"