Ch.15 - Ginny

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"ASK AWAY"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Alice was speechless.
What could something like this even mean?
There on her arm, in black, thick, horrible ink was words that made no sense.

But there was just one thing that surprised her.
She could read it.
She understood every word.
That made it scarier because she had no time to be excited about her achievement, the words still stuck in her head.

So many questions rushed through her head, her hand covering her shoulder.
She was in shock.
She was in so much shock that she didn't didn't even think about crying.

"Have fun figuring that out!" laughed Draco as he walked off, his feet echoing in the distance.

As much as she wanted to run after him and demand answers, She knew it was pointless.
She would probably end up in more pain anyway, it wasn't worth her breath.

She was still standing in the same spot, long after Draco left, and that's how Ginny found her.

"Alice? Alice, what are you doing?" she asked. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, Ms. Weasley" Alice replied, surprised at her ability to speak so clearly.

"What's wrong with your shoulder?"

"I am sorry about your jumper" she said, feeling horrible. "I must've caught-"

"Alice, calm down. It was only a jumper-"

"But it was your jumper!" she cried, realising she probably said that too loud.

"Here, let's go back to the common room"

Alice nodded, fixing the jumper so it covered her shoulder, the black ink no longer visible.

She walked beside Ginny, not muttering a word.
She was scared.
Not only did she have this marking, but she had no recollection of getting it.
And why hadn't she noticed it before?

"You sure your alright? I'm sure Madam Pomfrey wouldn't mind seeing you"

"I'm fine" Alice replied for what seemed like the umpteenth time.
Ginny sighed, looking at Alice.
She had hoped her mother might be able to place some meat on her bones, but Alice was as skinny as ever.

Alice felt as if Ginny was the only one who remembered her.
The trio were brilliant back at the Burrow, but as soon as they reached Hogwarts, they forgot about her.

She knew it was partly her fault for not wanting help, but that wasn't the point. She was literally sitting beside Ron, she even passed him a freaking apple tart, and still he didn't notice her there.

But there was one thing she was certain of.
She wasn't going to make them notice her, especially now she has more secrets.
And this one had to be safe, because if they found out, another twenty secrets would quickly be discovered.

"Have you caught up with Draco since you've come back?" asked Ginny, trying to lighten the mood and Alice's body suddenly tensed.

"Umm....no......no, not yet" she lied, looking at the floor. "May I ask you something?"

"Ask away" said Ginny, slowing her walk slightly.

"Have I done anything over the summer that may or may not have upset Professor Snape?"

"I don't think so, you've stayed at home, haven't you?"

"Of course I have, but I couldn't help but notice he was annoyed at me. I mean last year he helped me, What have I done?"

Ginny had no idea what was happening.
Alice had said more words in that one sentence than she had all summer, whatever Snape did, mustve mad her upset.

"Look, Snape is a git and finds anyway to hate a student. If it makes you feel any better, he hates me, because I may have turned his hair pink back in my first year"

Alice full on laughed at this.
No one has made her laugh like since, well since Henry.

Ginny was surprised.
Alice had changed in the few short hours on the train here, and she liked it.
Everyone was beginning to see the real Alice, not the Alice who was hidden by a mask.
The real and true Alice.

As they entered the common room, it was completely deserted.
It was nice.
The quiet I mean.

Ginny went to bed almost instantly, leaving Alice alone.
She curled up in front of the fire, watching as tiny sparks.

Henry? I don't care if you're ignoring me or if you can't hear me, but I'm gonna try anyway. I think someone else is after me, someone I trusted. Or some complete stranger.

She waited, for nothing.
She knew no answer would come, and she was usually right.

But this time was different.
This time she was wrong.

Alice, you need to stop digging. Stop trying to find out more information.
You'll end up getting killed, and you can't die.
Who will watch the stars with me?

Alice was shocked.
Four months or trying to talk to him, and now he talks?!

I will see the stars with you, but no one, not even you can prevent me from finding out the truth.

Not even his presence was felt after that.
Her head was empty.
Her feelings were nothing.

But the determination was like fire.
She was going to find out the truth, whether she died or not.