Ch.30 - David's Letter

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"TAKE A GUESS"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Alice opened it quickly.
She knew she couldn't read it, but she knew exactly what it was going to be about.
He either found her, or is looking for her.
She also knew it was for her because it didn't say her name, it was addressed to Maledictus.

Maledictus,

I have noticed your disappearance, and I will find you.

You were my golden ticket, my ticket to success and I'm not going to live to see the day when you ruin my career because of your idiot brother.

When I come for you, you will come with me.

David Baxter.

She couldn't that it took him this long to realise that he was gone.
But then again, the Circus did close from September to December.

What she didn't realise was that Draco had walked in.

"What's that?" he asked, taking the letter from her frail hands.
He scanned through it, and looked at her with an expression that can't be put into words.
He wasn't mad, but it wasn't pittyful.

"What is this?" he asked, almost sternly.

"I don't know, I-I found it" she whispered, keeping an eye on his wand.

"Who is this man and what is he on about? Why are you called Maledictus?"

"When did I ever say it was for me?" she said, defending herself.
He read it again.

"Alice, we both know he's talking about you" he said softly, sitting down beside her. "What is he talking about?"

"I was sold to a circus when I was four, the same day my brother was taken away"

"A circus? That must've been fun, right?"he asked nervously, really hoping this was a good thing.

"All I got was pain, Mr. Malfoy, nothing has changed" she whispered.

"What did he do?"

"I worked twelve hours each day, no food, and beatings in between shows"

Draco was gobsmacked.

"I had no idea"

"Of course you didn't because all you I've ever known is privilege"

He felt terrible.
He had hurt Alice because he wanted to please people, show that he could be a death eater, but really, he needed to look at the bigger picture.

He needed to ask her something, but he was afraid of the answer.

"What's a Maledictus?"

"It means that I am the carrier of an unforgivable blood curse" she answered, a weight being lifted off her shoulders.
But she also felt like she was doing the wrong thing.
Only Henry knew, and now someone who has hurt her in the past knew.

"I don't understand" he muttered.

"I'm cursed Mr. Malfoy, it's not that hard" she mumbled.

"Well, I better go" he said, heading to the door.

"Bye" she whispered, turning back to the blue bucket.

"How close were you and your brother?" he asked, stopping at the door.

"Take a guess" she smiled.

"Goodnight"

"Goodnight"

She took out the wash cloth and began polishing the nearest vase.

The talk with Draco gave her hope that he might soon understand what she has gone through.
She just hoped he wouldn't tell Lucius.

She stayed up the entire night, wiping and polishing everything until it shone.

Lucius came in around midday and threw her an apple and a bottle of water.

"We can't have you dying on us, the paperwork would be hell" he sneered, watching her as she gulped down the water and took a bite of the apple. "What's this mudblood?"

He grabbed the note, scanning through it.
He slapped her and she grabbed the note back.

"Give the letter to me it is none of your business!" she shouted, tucking it into her breast pocket which earned her another slap and she didn't even flinch.
It didn't seem to bother her anymore, slaps were merely a tap.

"What was it?" he demanded, pulling her to her feet.

"A letter?"

Slap.

"Fine. A the man from the Circus is looking for me"

Slap.

"I got that mudblood! Why is he looking for you?"

But Lucius knew.
He knew all too well.
He just needed to make sure that Alice didn't realise he knew.

"Oh I don't know, maybe because you took me?"

"I didn't ask you to come, your brother did!"

"But you still took me you bastard, and I will find a way out!"

Crucio.

"Then we better keep an eye on you" he sneered, knowing she would try and escape at some point.
He left, his cane banging and echoing against the floor. "Good job on the place, the room to the right needs doing"

Alice couldn't help but smile, even though it was a small smile, it was smile.
Lucius had complimented her work, he didn't mean to be nice.
But it made her feel something.

Struggling, she managed to make it to the other room before collapsing and falling into a sleep.

She transformed.
The most painful one she has ever experienced.

She hoped to God that no one would see or hear her.
But just her luck.
Draco was waiting outside to bring in some dinner, just as she transformed.