Ch. 4 - Tools

DON'T THINK LIKE that, you can't think like that

Alice gazed at her reflection.

The mirror had that patina of age over the bronze frame, likewise the surface of the glass was splotched black in places.

Alice stood and stared at herself, or at least the distorted image. The mirror showed her the way everyone saw her, all they saw, somehow it just didn't seem right.

Inside she was fireworks of rage, guilt, ambition, love and fear. All they saw was the short cut black hair and the kind of dark eyes you forget even while you're still looking at them.

She ran a finger over the frame, feeling its cool ridges and grooves and the layer of dust that clung to the surface.

"Alice?"

Her head flung around.
James was standing in the doorway.

He was weary around her.
Frightened someone would see.

Terrified of the accusations.

"Y-Yeah?" she stammered.

"You look nice"

She smiled weakly "So do you"

Alice wore a pale yellow dress which she had accessories with a quaint daisy in her hair. The overall look was quite pleasant.

"Here" said James, dangling a chain in front of her. "It was my mother's"

The rose gold necklace chain glittered attractively in the light and Alice's eyes widened. She held the charm in her hand, a simple circle with a spiral of colours. Pinks, blues and purples galore.

"It's beautiful" she sighed happily. "Thank you"

"It's not a-"

Alice had flung her arms around her friend. "Really, thank you James"

He hugged her back tightly.
"You're welcome"

They let go and Alice turned to look at herself again. She stared at her feet, averting her eyes from her own face.

The scars circled and covered her limbs, an external voice to her internal anguish.

Her face was so sunken in, the intense outline of her skull was detectable under the pale and bruised skin.

A chest so frail, the bump of each rib was visible underneath the woven cotton

"Just beautiful aren't I?" her voice quavered.

"Absolutely devine" he smiled.

He held out his arm and Alice linked it with hers.

And James walked in such a fashion as if he was an artist showing off a piece of gorgeous artwork.

"Shall we?" he asked kindly.

She smiled "A wedding? What could go wrong?"

"SLOW DOWN" Alice yelled over the music.

"NEVER!" James laughed, spinning her faster and faster until her face begun to turn an unhealthy shade of green.

Alice drew up a chair to an unoccupied table and sat down. "I simply cannot dance any more" she panted, slipping off her shoe and rubbing the sole of her foot.

"Better get used to it Alice, when all this is over I'm dragging you along to dance classes"

"Am I really that horrible?"