Ch.18 - The Potions Master

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"HERMIONE, DROP IT!"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Ron and Harry looked at her with puzzled expression.
That couldn't be true.
No matter how mean or nasty Draco is to the trio, they knew that he would never hurt a family member.
But she wasn't family.
And he was hurting her.

"That's a terrible accusation" said Ron, afraid of how she'll react. "He's her sister!"

"But that's just it! I don't think there related" whispered Hermione.

Nobody replied.
It's not that they didn't believe her, it's that they didn't want to believe her.

Harry had too much going on.
With Voldemort back and Umbridge on his tail, he didn't have time to go any further into Alice's personal life.
And Ron had prefect duties, was behind on homework and he had he and Harry both had quidditch practice.

Hermione on the other hand had prefect duties, was taking extra subjects, therefore more homework and still managed to get everything done and knit hats (that now looked like hats) for house elves, who she assumed that wanted to he free.

"Hermione, drop it" muttered Harry, turning back to his transfiguration essay.
Ron was torn between two.

"I'm with Hermione on this one" said Ron, not looking at Harry, but he could feel his eyes burning holes in the back of his head.

"What?" roared Harry.

"Well if you look at it, they don't look alike at all. I mean, she has black hair, and he has platinum blonde" Ron said, hoping to defend himself.
Harry didn't look up, but he didn't ignore him.

"Harry, if you want to help Alice, you need to listen, or else don't contribute at all" said Hermione coldly.

"Of course I want to help you!" he shouted.

"Harry, I would appreciate if you'd stop jumping down our throats, because if you haven't noticed, we are all trying to help too, it's not just you" blurted out Hermione.

"And I would appreciate if you'd either stop talking about me or talk quieter!" shouted Alice, tears streaming down her face.
Everyone was now looking at the small first year, her sleeves covered in tears and her face and eyes red.
And even if you looked closly, you could still see the dried blood on her clothes.

She ran out of the common room.
She didn't know where she was going, but she wanted to leave.

Hermione had figured it out.
She wasn't safe from the Malfoys anymore.
She knew that as soon Christmas break started, she wouldn't see daylight until she died.

She sat in the corner of the hallway, and calmed down a bit.
She wiped her eyes, and tried to tell herself that everything would soon be okay and she would soon see her brother again.
She just had to stay strong and not give in, that's all she had to do.
Which unfortunately is also one of the hardest things to do.

"Why would a girl like you be sitting in the hallway?" asked Severus Snape disgusted at the sight of her.
Alice jumped to her feet, wiping the remaining tears, with a wet sleeve.

"I-I-I'll be going t-then" she stuttered nervously, hiding behind her hair, but Snape stopped her.

"I need to talk to you for a moment" he said with a blank expression, walking off and urging her to follow.

Too scared to do anything else, she followed him, Almost running to keep up with her.

"Sit" he said, slamming the door and locking it, which made Alice feel uneasy.
She felt as if Lucius would appear from around the desk and kill her on the spot. "Now, I'm going to ask you something, and you need to answer me honestly, alright?"

Alice slowly nodded, still not looking at him.

"We both know that you aren't a master at potions" he began "But I have a feeling that there is a particular reason for that, is there Ms. Malfoy?"

Alice hesitated before speaking.

"I-I just don't think potions is m-my strength, p-professor" she answered, lifting her head a slight bit.

"I wonder has it got anything to do with your inability to read and write" he asked.

Alice froze.
If he knew, there was no telling how many more people knew.
And she knew that Hermione was behind it, that was the only thing she was certain about.

"But I'm going to help you" he said and Alice's head popped up.

"You don't have to-"

"But I want to, you have great potential Ms. Malfoy. Meet me half an hour before class tomorrow"

Alice felt like hugging him, but obviously didn't.

"Thank you professor!" she exclaimed, beaming.

She headed back to the common room but not before bumping into the all familiar twins.