Ch.21 - Mash Potatoes

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"I PROMISE"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"Come in Ms. Malfoy" said Snape, as Alice walked into the dull classroom of the potions master.
He had a small book waiting on his desk with her name on it. "This book has pictures and simple clues about the ingredients, so they will be easy to follow"

He handed her the book, and she had a smile on her face.
This was the best thing that has happened, because someone believed in her, unlike Draco or Lucius.

"Now, you mustn't show anyone that book, it is yours and yours only" he said, leaning forward in his chair slightly.

"I promise" she said, ignoring the floor and looking at Snape.
He smiled the smallest smile known to man kind, and let Alice leave.

She didn't care what Harry, Ron or Hermione thought anymore.
She would let them talk about her, but she wouldn't let it leave any scars.

She was going to learn to read and write on her own.
She would show Harry that she could do things for herself, she would show them all that she could do it.

"Alice?" said Hermione, almost scared, but Alice ignored her.

"WILL YOU ANSWER HER!?" shouted Harry at the top of his voice, making Alice flinch.

"I am an independent person Mr. Potter, I can do what I please" she said, trying not to shout.
She grabbed her books and stormed out.

"The cheek of her" muttered Harry, loud enough for Ron to hear.

"She has a point Harry. She's not going around bossing us around, why should we do that to her?" said Ron.

"Well I'm not being abused by my brother!" he shouted, pushing everything off the table, pouring ink over all of their essays.

Ron glared at Harry, picking up his potion essay that was now drenched in black ink.

"Thanks a lot Harry" he mumbled.

Hermione helped Ron clean off his parchment so it was some what readable, while Harry stayed silent, not helping at all.

                            ~*~

As the students filed into the dreaded potions classroom, Alice was taking deep breaths hoping to God that this would work.

"This is the last day we'll be practicing the sleeping draught before moving onto something more difficult. Your time starts now!" he announced before returning to his desk.

Alice opened the instructions and the book Snape gave her and started.

It took her the entire class, but by the end, she was able to hand up a sample vial of her potion.
And better again, it looked like everyone else's.

"Nice work Ms. Malfoy, that would earn you an outstanding in your OWLS" said Snape, handing back her potion.

Alice couldn't stop beaming.
She did it.
She achieved something she never thought she could do.

"Thank you professor" she exclaimed before heading to her next class.

                           ~*~

The day went amazing from there.
She accomplished every assignment before everyone else.

She even managed to eat a few spoonfuls of mash potatoes at dinner.

She saw Ron smile a bit her way, but she tried to ignore it.
He was the only one how actually took her side.
He helped her when she asked for it, he was the only person who helped her get the password.

She liked him for that reason.

They didn't try and talk to her.
They didn't even look at her.
And she enjoyed it.

That whole evening went smoothly, until she found another letter, containing more drawings.