Ch. 2 - Home

ALICE PACED AROUND the bedroom like the floor would give out under her tiny body mass.
Every step was so light that she made no sound at all.

She was holding a small notebook, a pencil behind her ear, reading the letter she had written, her birthday letter to Harry.

She stopped to look at Henry, sleeping deeply, serenity plastered across his face. His consciencness swirled in the land of dreams, oblivious to the world around him.

He had been here just over five days - five days, six hours, seven minutes and forty-three seconds to be exact.

He said all the right things; his face creased in all the right places, but Alice couldn't bring herself to trust him fully.

"You still awake?"

"Goodness Henry!" Alice jumped slightly. "You scared me"

He smiled. "Nightmare?"

"How can I call it a nightmare, if it doesn't leave my presence when I'm awake?" she slumped against the Henrys camp-bed in the spare room, sighing loudly.

"You alright?"

"Not really"

"Want to talk about it?"

"No"

Fear sat on her face like a pillow over her mouth and nose. Even though air got by, allowing her body to keep functioning, it was crippling all the same.

"Well" he sighed. "I'm here for you Alice"

"I know" her voice held a smile.

"You should sleep"

"I know" her tone dropped.

Henry rolled over facing the cream wall once again his soft snores engulfed the room within minutes.

Alice closed her eyes.

Percy was shaking his brother, Ron was kneeling beside them and the shouts held pain as they cried.

"FRED! FRED WAKE UP PLEASE! FRED!"

Slow desolate tears ran from her bloodshot eyes and dripped steadily into her jumper.

She felt like giving up.
She couldn't stop them, so what was the point?

LOGICAL AND EFFECTIVE thinking was best achieved when good self esteem and passion for solving the problem are in place.

Alice had neither.

"FRED! FRED! WAKE UP!"

She could hardly breath, it felt as if someone was choking her. Her heart was racing and all she wanted to do was curl up into a ball and wait for someone to save her.