Chapter 33 : Fine

Tyler, Texas 2020

"Astrid, someone's looking for you." It was Isabella's voice. She knocked three more times to make sure you heard her statement. Groaning, you jumped out of your bed and opened the door for her. "Sorry, did I wake you up?"

"No, no. I'm already awake." You gave her a weak smile. To be honest, it felt like you didn't get a single wink of sleep last night.

What does getting Annais' body have to do with you? Taehyung was probably just using you as an excuse. He lied to his friend, Jimin, and Namjoon about not taking the book. You know how much he longs for her, but he could've just told the truth.

"Is it Taehyung? Please tell him I'm dead." You fake a smile at the old lady, and she found your statement unbelievable. This is not the right time to let Taehyung enter your house again; you actually don't know when it will be right by then. He's an energy-drainer. And you would do anything just to let your mind at peace and away from him for a while.

"No, one small guy and the other taller." Base on her description, you presume they're Jimin and Namjoon. Well, assuming they're the only guy 'friends' you have right now.

"Okay, I'll be down in a bit," You sighed. The idea of them suddenly visiting your house could be a sign that they finally have an idea of what's going on. So you have no choice but to go down and show your presence. Obviously, you three really have to talk. You already thought of telling the two about Taehyung's secrets, but you still haven't decided. Perhaps, their visitation is a premonition that you should tell them.

After fixing yourself, you went downstairs, and there you saw Jimin and Namjoon uncomfortably fidgeting in your living room. "Hey." You greeted and brushed your hair behind your ears.

The two immediately glanced at you with sharp stares. "Taehyung told us," Namjoon started.

"And you already knew about it," Jimin scoffed. He fell down on your couch before folding his arms in front of his chest.

"I was planning to tell y—"

"But you didn't," Jimin cuts you off. "You ran off and told us nothing."

"Hey, let her explain." You saw how Namjoon's jawlines tighten while he tried to defend you. As you've seen, they're still not on good terms, and having only the two of them at the same place in their own wills makes this meeting important.

"Thanks, Namjoon," You breathed. Then you turned your head to Jimin and began your piece. "I know I should've told both of you earlier. But I was so confused about Taehyung's reasonings that the only thing I had in my mind at that time was to think about it thoroughly. He told me he was doing it for me."

"And we already know that." Jimin waved one of his hands. "Taehyung convinced us that he was doing it for you."

"No, he's lying!" You cried out. Their faces become more. confused than ever. "He's not doing it for me."

"Then, who?" Namjoon raised a brow at you.

"He did it for Annais. He wants her... dead body." You looked down on the ground and hid your face full of... disappointment? Anger? Sadness? Honestly speaking, you don't know what to feel. Getting his old lover's body isn't actually selfish. He just wants closure, and you, out of all people, have no say about it. You were the one who caused him his agony even though you don't actually remember the exact events.

Jimin's lips formed into a soft oval shape after hearing what you said. On the other hand, Namjoon was clueless. "Annais?"

"She was Taehyung's lover." With just four words from Jimin's mouth, Namjoon's curiosity seemed to be fed already. "After getting Annais' body when..." Jimin stared at me before continuing, "... she was killed, a day or two, it disappeared. We believe her family took her and hid her from Taehyung since they're not actually fond of their relationship."

You all went silent, and Namjoon finally sat on a seat. The three of you were all lost in thinking. The atmosphere seemed to turn into a dead air where all of you don't know what to say next. Perhaps, even they themselves don't know what to feel as well.

In your opinion, Taehyung now has his proper reason. It might be for himself, but he has an excuse for it. It's fair for him and also for Annais. "So, what're we gonna do about it?"

"It's okay with me." Namjoon honestly spoke his thought out. It dazzled your mind that he thinks that way. You looked at him with a face that asks 'why' and just shrugged.

"I get that you're okay with it because it's for his personal reasons, but don't you care about the book?" Your voice raises.

"I'm not a demon. It's a benefit for you and me if that book gets out. The wolves can kill them, and my kind will take care of the werewolves." He leaned back on his seat with an unbothered behavior, and you shake your head involuntarily.

You then turned to the only vampire inside your home. "Especially, you, Jimin. You'll die."

"It's fine. I understand him." You can see on his face that he wasn't entirely sure about what he said.

"It's fine if you die?" You coughed.

"Considering that I've been 'alive' for years, it's fine." He used air quotes with his fingers. "Plus, I owe Taehyung a lot."

There you ran out of words to say. Seeing how the two didn't disapprove of Taehyung's recent actions now that he told them his reasons, your doubt doubled in your head. "How about you, Astrid? What are you going to do?" And Namjoon's question tripled it up.

You don't know how to answer his question. Well, how can you say something in return if you really don't have an answer for it? There are too many emotions in your head that you can't focus on one, and the fact itself causes you to think differently.

But inside your heart, you know that it's just a distraction. You don't want to admit that strange feeling you felt when you learned Taehyung is still longing for his past... girlfriend? Fiance? Lover? You don't know. And it's odd how you feel that way without knowing who he really is. Like what was his past like? You understand that there are secrets that need to be hidden. And you understand that the short amount of time you've spent together doesn't mean you're already qualified for each other's trust.

You want Taehyung to tell you why you should trust him, and the only way for you to know is to ask. "Calling Astrid Jones, still alive?" Jimin's voice ringing in your ear snapped you back.

"Oh, uhm, what was it again?" You scratched the back of your head.

"How about you, Astrid? What are you going to do?" Namjoon repeated the question for you with a disturbed look.

"Me, uhm, I'm fine," You absentmindedly answered.

"Are you really?" Namjoon raised an eyebrow. You don't know if he's asking about Taehyung's plan or about your well being.

"If 'I'm fine' is the same as 'I'm screwed,' then yes." You forced and stretched a smile on your lips. "Yes, I'm fine," You repeated.