Nymph Estate

Mythology AU
————————————————————
Taehyng's favorite thing to do was interact with the nymphs behind his grandfather's estate. There was a large forest, inhabited by dryads and meliae who coaxed the birds from their nests and kept the leaves of the trees green, and the occasional oreads who lived for the soul purpose of tending to the environment. There was also a lake, the depths of which it reached a mystery to Taehyung. He would always wave to the naiads as they worked to keep the water creatures healthy and keep the current flowing strong. They were all beautiful maidens and Taehyung felt it deep within himself to protect each and every one of them from the dangerous of the greedy human race.

His grandfather had passed long ago and the land, containing thousands of acres, was passed down to Taehyung. He had spent much of his life at his grandfather's home when he was a young one, listening to his grandfather's stories about the magic that lay beyond the tree line. His dream was to explore outside, to walk the edge of the horizon to help his grandfather collect ingredients for his many potions. He had learned many recipes from his old man- bewitching, poisoning, growth, healing, love- but sadly, he couldn't experience the proud look his grandfather would give him before his old ticker stopped.

That was years ago, though.

Now, Taehyung lived his life in the footsteps of his grandfather, not in grief. He could mix his own potions, navigate with his own compass, stir up his own version of ambrosia- though it didn't have the effects of longevity and immortality- and cook his own meals. And he kept the nymphs safe. He provided them with genetically modified pomegranates that instead of sending them to the underworld, kept them happy and well, apples that tasted sweet, cups of nectar, and fresh, flaky rolls of bread.

He was always happy. He had his family of nymphs and his home, far away from trouble.

That is... until a naiad stumbled upon his door, knocking against it frantically with her scrawny little hands. Taehyung raced from where he sat at his work station, in the midst of crushing dried mint, and yanked the door open, worried. The nymphs never strayed far from where they belonged unless it was an emergency.

"T-There's someone at the lake!" She said, fear in her large eyes. Her skin was tinted blue and her ears were pointy, signature features of a naiad. Taehyung didn't question her and instead snatched his satchel off the hook beside the door, quickly throwing the leather strap over his shoulder as he followed the nymph down the hill to the forest. He dashed past the tree line and made his way to the lake in a rush, passing curious and concerned nymphs. He heard a few whispers in their high pitched voices but chose to ignore them in favor of focusing.

"Does he have a weapon?" Taehyung asked the naiad who led him through the trees. They stepped over mushrooms and mounds of moss, traveling on quick but careful feet.

"I didn't see one." She said. "He was in the lake master!"

"In?" Taehyung gawked in surprise. The naiad nodded and they broke through the trees, the wide expanse of glimmering water ahead. Taehyung scanned the lake and saw a naiad and a dryad pulling something quite large out of the water, and in fear of what it was he lashed out at them, yelling for them to get away. They dropped whatever it was immediately and scampered away, knowing that Taehyung said it for their safety.

As Taehyung approached slowly, a small dagger in his hand that he retrieved from his satchel, he studied the form. It's upper half was showing, its lower half immersed in dark water. Taehyung couldn't see what lay beyond its torso, so keeping his hand outstretched to keep the nymphs at bay, he crouched beside the form.

It was... a man?

His stomach was facing the star speckled sky, shining with water droplets, breathing shallowly. His face was calm, eyes shut, nostrils expanding slightly as he inhaled and exhaled.