Ch.41 - Reasons

Beginne am Anfang

"No I didn't"

"That could've been your last time"

Alice hesitated before nodding.
There was a chance she wouldn't turn back, that she would stay a beast for the rest of her life.

"So? Why did you save me?"

"Mr. Weasley-"

"Bill"

"Mr. Weasley, you needed help, I helped you" she said simply, not wanting to have the conversation.

Silence overcame the duo, but Bill still needed answers.
He wanted to the real reason.

"Did it have anything to do with Ron?"

"Excuse me?"

"You only saved me because you wanted your friend back"

Anger boiled inside her.
She knew Bill didn't mean it.
She knew that he only said it to make her say the real reason.

The real reason she risked her life.

"You'll hate me" she croaked. "It was so stupid!"

"What saving me?"

"No!"

"You can tell me Alice"

She played with her thumbs, staring at the ground, not meeting the red-head's eyes.
It was too embarrassing.

"You have to understand I was out of it, weak and not thinking straight" she begun.

"Because of the cruciatus curse?"

She nodded. "When I saw you with Greyback....I...I remembered something" she gulped. "About Henry"

She should've stopped there.
She knew she shouldn't have said anything.
It was going to crush him.

"It was when Henry was taken away and I just stood there, not doing anything to help" she continued. "Watching, listening to his cries for help...and I just stood there.."

She couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth, the day replaying in her mind.

"I saw you but I saw Henry in your place"

"Oh"

"It was like I was brought back to that day and I could save him" she sobbed. "And when Mr. Weasley saw me, I knew it was you......and......I had to help you.......you're not Henry, but your the closest thing I've got to family and your family deserve to be a whole. It should never be broken like mine"

Bill was silent.
He processed her words, watching as the clear tears fell down her face, her shoulders shaking.

"Alice we are your family and always will be"

*

Alice rose early the next morning, checking she had absolutely everything.
She unzipped her small backpack, placing it on the table in front of her.