Ch.18 - Detention

Start from the beginning

Alice's knees were banging together in fear, and her stomach was no better.

She needed to go to Madam Pomfrey, but she was too embarrassed.
It was probably something simple, and there was no point in going.
Maybe she just needed sleep, but that wasn't possible, not at Hogwarts.

Instead, she headed to her next class, Charms.
Again, She didn't have any books, but Flitwick didn't even notice.
Alice just sat in the back, and didn't speak a word.

"Now, settle down" shouted Flitwick over the constant chatter. "Please copy down the notes on the board and practise the charm"

~*~

As the school day was coming to a close and everyone was at dinner.

"How are you feeling Alice?" asked Hermione. "You gave us quite the scare"

"I'm fine" she replied, squishing the peas on her plate.

The trio weren't so sure.
Alice didn't seem alright at all.
I fact, she looked worse.

She was still weak from the torture curse, and she still had to go through detention with Snape.

"Alice, where are you going?" asked Harry, grabbing a slice of cake.

"I've got detention with Snape" she replied in whisper so no one else heard.

"Why?"

"For not wearing my uniform"

Again, She didn't wait for an answer, She made her way out of the Great Hall, and down the stairs of the dreaded dungeon.

Knock, knock.

"Come in" droned the voice of Severus Snape.

Alice opened the door slowly, pushing it with great effort and closing it behind her.

He had already warned her that her punishment was lines, she was not looking forward to that.

"Take a seat"

Alice sat down at the top of the classroom, waiting for Snape to say something, but he didn't.
He just kept writing, and writing.

Alice thought that she might be able to leave, but as if he read her mind, he locked the door.

Her heart sunk slightly, but she also wanted to scream at herself for even thinking about something so foolish.

"Am I here for detention or to watch you ignore me?" she blurted out, covering her mouth in shame.
But it got his attention.

"Do you want detention?" he sneered.

"Does anyone?"

"I'll take that as a no" he sighed. "I wanted to talk to you"

Alice sat up straighter.

"About what?"

"Your brother"

Alice knew she couldn't trust Snape.
He was on Voldemorts side, he wanted information about him so they could use him.

"Then I'm not talking to you" she huffed, being pathetic like a two year old.

"I want to help"

"That's the last thing you'd ever do!" she shouted.

Snape sighed, getting up from his seat and walking towards her.
Alice did the same, except she walked away from him.

"You work for Voldemort, how can I trust you!?" she shouted.

"Ah, your one of those"

"What's that supposed to mean?" she accused.

"Your one of those who think they're so brave they can mutter the Dark Lord's name"

Alice didn't know how to respond.
She just wanted to get out.

"Alice, your brother can help us, he can help us in so many ways, he can save lives. But he needs to stay with us, and you need to stop digging around"

"I just want him back"

After some silence, Snape let her go.
She walked quickly back to the common room, ignoring all stares and glares that were aimed at her.

But it still hurt.

"Hey Alice" said Hermione as Ron helped her up onto the windowsill.
Alice didn't answer, she had a lot to think about. "Did Snape hurt you?"

"No" she answered simply, staring out the window.

She could feel Hermione anxiously glaring at her every few minutes, but she ignored her.

She still had the note to read from James, but she couldn't do that while everyone was around.
Especially not while the trio was around.

They didn't know she stayed at the Circus, they didn't know about James or David.
They didn't know that She was a Maledictus, they didn't know a lot of things, and the note could give away a lot.

"Goodnight Alice" said Harry, as he headed up the stairs towards the boys dorms.

"Goodnight" she replied quietly, fumbling in her pocket and taking out the letter.

She didn't know if she wanted to read it.
What if it gave news that Rue was dead? Or worse, that her brother was killed.

Pushing all the negative thoughts out of her head, and opened the letter.

Her hands shook as she read it.
She reread it, hoping it wasn't true.
But it was there, it was James' handwriting.

Things are about to get even worse for you.
Don't try and escape it.
I know where you are.
And let's face it, you're going to see a lot more of me from now on.

-James.