Numb

Izaya stared down at the ground of Shinra's apartment without saying a word, much to the worry of Celty. Just about an hour ago, she was sitting down on the couch with Shinra, both of them watching TV, when she got a call from Izaya. The fact alone of how he was calling out for help had given Celty a shock, but the fact of how dead his voice sounded had filled the dullahan with dread.

The raven couldn't help but be stuck in his own thoughts at the moment.

He thought back to when the blonde was shot.

To when his Shizu-chan was shot.

He could still feel the horror he felt when it happened. It was a kind if horror that he has never felt before.

When Shizuo fell down, unmoving, for a good few seconds Izaya just stood there, wishing for it all to be a joke that would be over soon.

No such luck.

He then quickly pulled out his phone, dialing for a certain underground doctor without once taking his eyes off the blonde.

He waited.

And waited.

And waited.

While it took only about ten minutes for Celty to reach the address Shinra had texted to her, it felt like hours to Izaya.

The raven remembers how Shinra had wanted Celty to at least look at Izaya's injuries, but eventually gave up seeing how Izaya wasn't budging until he heard that Shizuo was okay.

And now here he was, sitting in the doctor's living room with an extremely concerned dullahan, while tapping his foot on the ground, lost in his thoughts.

What if....

....What if Shizu-chan actually dies?

Just the thought had made the informant feel such dread that it took his breath away, leaving him with a nauseous feeling in his stomach.

A world....without Shizu-chan?

....

....No......That's impossible....

...

...Right?

Finally, for the first time since he sat down on the couch, he finally lifted his eyes up and looked at something besides the floor.

His eyes wondered over to the clock that was hanging in the room. With a frown, he saw how it was nearing midnight already.

Shizu-chan got to the warehouse maybe around 10:20.

Celty arrived about ten minutes later.

Then we got here about 10:50, maybe 11:00.

It's been an hour since then.

...Dammit.

Why did-

Izaya's thoughts were immediately halted when Shinra entered the room, shutting the door behind him.

The raven jumped up, full of questions to ask the doctor, but froze when he saw the saddened expression on his friend's face.

No.....

"......Shinra?"

The doctor looked up at the raven, and gave a sad sigh.

No, this can't....

....This isn't...

"Shinra.....he's fine.....right?" Izaya asked, scared of what answer he might get.

"Izaya....I'm so sorry, but...."

Please, no.....

"...I tried everything I could..."

No...

No no no no no no no.

Please, please don't say it!

"....He's gone, I'm sorry."

No.

Izaya felt like he himself had just died.

Right along with Shizuo.

Tears raced down his cheeks, his legs went numb, having him fall to the floor in a heap. His whole body felt numb, and yet he felt like his heart was literally being torn apart.

No, it felt like he was rotting from the inside out.

He had no idea how he could feel so much numbness and so much pain at the same time.

All he could do was bury his face in his hands while he fell apart.

**********************************************

I do not own Durarara!! or any images used.