Chapter 5

*                 *                 *

I woke up to sunshine peering into my eyelids. Although my eyes were closed, I could still feel the warmth and brightness of the sun beaming down at me. I opened them. I nearly broke my back sitting up and immediately groaned and got out of bed. I looked over at the window and my dad was busy messing with my curtains.

"Dad, what are you doing?" I asked in annoyance, scratching on my thigh. "It's Saturday!"

"I know. I have to leave to Los Angeles today but the lawn mower guy is coming over in twenty minutes or so. Evan is at Tricia's house because she got some kind of food poisoning from her friend's wedding last night. Lizzie left to do some shopping for the downstairs basement so I'm leaving the money with you so you can pay the guy and be done with it. Can I trust you?" He asked with me raised eyebrows.

"Yeah, yeah. So I can't go back to sleep?"

Dad shook his head with a sad smile, "I'm afraid not, sweetie."

I rolled my eyes. My day has just started and already I was becoming furious! After leaving that stupid party, where Ace completely pissed me off, I left with a huge headache that I just didn't know how to get rid of. I tried to sleep it off, and I still am, only coming to find out that I can't sleep anymore. This is complete and utter bullshit.

I groaned again and stomped my foot. Dad gave me a weird look, "Just remember to call your mother. I know she misses you."

"Yeah, yeah. I will." I waved him off and he left shortly after. 

I walked downstairs in my morning robe, not bothering to look at myself in the mirror. I know my hair's a mess and I know I have bags under my eyes. Whatever. I went to the kitchen counter with my cell phone and fixed myself a bowl of cereal. As I was eating in my own comfortable silence, my phone started buzzing. I answered.

"Yes, mom?" I knew who it was because she kept blowing my phone up last night after I left the party. I figure I might as well speak to her now to get it over with.

"No, no. It's not your mom. It's me Ellie, Fallon!"

"Fallon?" I asked out loud.

"Yes, me. After you left, I left."

"What, the party?" 

"Yeah."

"Cool. I hope I didn't ruin anything Fallon," I suddenly begin to say, "It's just that Ace was being a douche and a jerk and-"

"He likes you, Ellie." Fallon quickly said. 

I wanted to spit out my cereal. I kept my lips tucked in, "Ace?"

"Yes, Ace Freeman! He likes you. Okay? He didn't say it but he was so pissed at you last night for kicking him in the-"

"How does that explain that he likes me?" I was becoming impatient and I wanted to hang up and continue eating my cereal in peace, not hear ridiculous crap like this! It's way too early to be talking about who likes who!

"He's jealous of David. He knows you and David had some kind of spark at the party and Drew got a little pissed at him because you know, it's his cousin that Ace was talking about. Drew told me he always suspected that he had a thing for you because of the attitude he gave you on your first couple of days of school and-"

"Wait, what? You're talking to Drew now?" 

"I can explain that too," Fallon quickly said in defense. 

I groaned, "It'd better be good."

"I was leaving in the middle of the game and Drew was busy trying to calm Ace down from what you did to him. Then, he came outside when I was getting ready to go," She explained to me with an innocent voice, "It was sweet, actually. He just came up to me when I was about to get in my car and he grabbed me by the waists and kissed me. I kissed him back. He said sorry over and over and said he doesn't want to lose me and that he loves me and that he would never get with that dumb bimbo Valerie!"