Chapter 89

The World is a Courtroom, but your life is the Judge. ~ Uche Okafox

Nitin asked the constable to wait downstairs to make sure the press stayed away from the apartments and got into the lift with Ajay.

Nitin and Ajay rode the lift up to the penthouse apartment. The two constables who accompanied Amrita were waiting to get into the lift, when their lift door finally opened.

"Where are you two going?" Nitin scowled at them.

"Sir!! Sir we told madam we are on guard duty for tonight up here, but Madam asked us to have dinner first and comeback. Trust me Sir, we tried to convince her but she said you will be here with Ajay Sir till we come back, and sent us away Sir!" the constables replied in an utterly helpless and terrorised tone.

Ajay chuckled at his wife's behaviour which made Nitin even more irritable.

"Fine. There's a small south-indian mess just 100 metres from here, where they provide healthy meals. Finish your dinner quickly and be back in half an hour. I will be watching the clock, trust me." He hissed at them as they saluted him, and rushed out.

Nitin and Ajay walked along the terrace when Ajay asked him "Can't you speak to them in a nice way?"

Before Nitin could answer they heard a small shriek which sounded like Amrita's from the apartment, and they both ran crazily towards the open door.

The sight inside relieved and angered them at the same time.

Amrita was standing precariously on a stool next to the Pantry cupboard, trying to balance a dinnerware set box in her arms, which she seemed to have pulled down from the top shelf.

Ajay and Nitin both rushed to her, and while Ajay held Amrita in his arms, Nitin took the heavy dinnerware box out of her hands, and lowered it on to the kitchen table.

"Are you crazy Ammu? Couldn't you wait two minutes till I was back? What if something happened to you?" Ajay hissed at Ammu still carrying her in his arms.

It was Nitin's turn to chuckle, and Ajay looked irritatingly at him.

"Can you please put me down first" Amrita urged, and Ajay reluctantly lowered her on to the ground.

"You were taking so long and there isn't proper dinnerware in the house, so I thought I will just open this one. I just didn't realise it was so heavy that's all. Anyway what happened? Did those journalists annoy you too much and stopped you for so long?" She asked worriedly, anxious to change the topic.

"Ammu!! So long? What are you talking about? It's just been 5 minutes, and don't worry they were ok." Ajay reassured her.

Nitin smiled inwardly at their bickering, and walked towards the door.

"Okay guys Good night ! Do you have any plans to go out tomorrow Ajay? I just need to know, for security purposes." Nitin asked casually.

"We might need to go to Khurana Sir's office. But I don't know yet." Ajay said thoughtfully.

"Fine then. I will see you guys tomorrow."

"Nitin, wait!!! Have dinner with us first." Amrita invited him.

"Hmmm no Amrita...some other time perhaps. I got to go." Nitin replied, exchanging awkward glances with Ajay.

"I insist. Ajay please tell him to have dinner with us." Amrita requested her husband.

Ajay didn't know how to respond.

"He says he needs to go Ammu, why are you forcing him? By the way do we have any dinner or should I go and get a take away? I am starving." Ajay tried his best to distract his wife.