Chapter 6

She Believed She Could, So She Did.

Just when Vidya was trying to call Ajay, he was busy talking to the Dean of Nalanda College, Professor Tripathi - at the police station interview room.

Professor Tripathi looked unusually flustered and tried his best to cover it up with anger.

"I don't understand why your constable couldn't explain to me why I have to come here, dropping all my engagements. Why am I called in here like a common criminal? You could have just talked to me over the phone. Do you know who I am?!" he demanded angrily.

His frustration increased as Ajay was not looking at him, but clearing the desk; arranging things slowly.

"I know your boss Superintendent of Police Chaudhary very well. I -" he stopped and shuddered as Ajay lifted his bloodshot eyes and looked at him threateningly.

 I -" he stopped and shuddered as Ajay lifted his bloodshot eyes and looked at him threateningly

"I am very sorry Professor Tripathi that you have been brought in here without much information. But you know...I prefer talking to people face to face than over the phone in delicate issues like this." Ajay replied stressing on the word delicate, and waited for the Dean's reaction.

"Delicate issues? What is the matter Sir?" Dean's voice and attitude changed slightly now.

Satisfied with the Dean's response Ajay continued, "Yesterday night we confiscated what looked like a laundry van near your hospital and we found -"

"Found what exactly?" the Dean's discomfort was quite palpable by his expression now.

"We found blood packets being smuggled by two people. Did anyone in your hospital staff report about any missing blood packets in the past?" probed Ajay, still observing the Dean closely.

To his surprise, the Dean looked slightly relieved - but then recovered quickly.

Sighing deeply, the Dean now answered in a rueful tone. "Thanks a lot. Yes my secretary informed me just this morning that the duty doctor had been  reporting about missing blood packets. In fact I asked my secretary to lodge a complaint about the theft straight away. What can I say ACP Rathore? These immoral and inhuman people have no respect for human life. They are leeches of the lowest order," he went on.