Chapter 45

I love you,

not only for what you are,

but for what I am when I am with you.

Roy Croft

The next day dawned quite hot and humid. Due to their overnight escapades everyone had a late lie in and woke up close to noon.

The guys forbid the birthday girl from entering the kitchen, and made sure all her needs were looked after.

But she begged them to let her make a proper cake, and they grudgingly allowed her just to make the cake.

Amrita made a simple yet delicious chocolate mud cake with the available ingredients, and they all helped themselves for extra servings, and even licked their fingers afterwards.

S I Sarang called and informed that, a secure vehicle with a police driver would be coming to pick up Shyam and Mukesh around 5 PM. The police security was already in place both at Mukesh's apartment and Shyam's family home. Shyam informed Ajay and Amrita that he will visit his family first, and spend the rest of the time at Mukesh's apartment, in case they need to contact him.

Ramesh and Kumar joined them for lunch and wished Amrita heartily, once they came to know it was her birthday.

Kumar's wife came once or twice a week to the farmhouse with some homemade food, and she was due to come again today. Kumar offered to get some special food prepared for all of them, but Ajay and Amrita politely declined.

Amrita had a leisurely bath and straightened her hair. She was nervous about her appearance, now that she realised Ajay had such terrific sense of clothes and jewellery etc. The jewellery and accessories matched perfectly with her outfit. She wore each piece lovingly in the knowledge that he chose it for her. She kissed her long chain pendant again just like she did every day, and tucked it inside her choli. Finally, it was almost 5pm, and she hurried to meet her friends, even though she was not very satisfied about how she looked.

Shyam and Mukesh couldn't help but notice how frequently Ajay was checking for Amrita to emerge out of her bedroom.

"Mukesh, remember yesterday how this guy was saying such senti dialogues to us, as to why we are leaving, but look at him now!! He doesn't even care that we are sitting right next to him. Every 10 seconds he is craning his neck to look if Ammu had come out." Shyam teased him.

"I am doing no such thing." Ajay flatly denied.

"Achcha!! Abe gadhe... you can't even lie properly. So don't try to fool us." Shyam scoffed at him and turned around to see the birthday girl.

"Hi Ammu" Shyam greeted jovially.

"You look terrific. Put some kaala tikka or something to protect you from evil eyes. I am serious."

"Yes Ammu you are looking too pretty today. Ajay's selection was spot on." Mukesh added enthusiastically.

Ajay was sure that Shyam and Mukesh were just pulling his leg again, so he didn't bother to look this time. Then he heard soft tinkling sound of her bangles, followed by Amrita's nervous voice.

"Thanks a lot guys. Ajay why are you so silent ? Doesn't this dress suit me?"

He turned and as he gazed at her, got up without even realising. He felt as if his two eyes were not enough today to take in all the beauty of her.