Chapter 47

Your Pain is the breaking of the shell that 

encloses  your understanding -- Khalil Gibran

Amrita didn't let down her team in cricket and proved to be an able player, and the boys grudgingly accepted her as part of their team.

As time went on, Amrita became very close to the Rathore family.

Arjun and Vasumathy were so happy that she had forgotten the trauma of her mother's loss, but were a bit concerned that she was getting distant from her father and her toddler sister too.

They could see that Brijesh was struggling with his job as well as looking after a needy toddler, but perhaps a slight neglect took place in giving equal care for the young Amrita. But they had no heart to tell him this, as they could see how hard he was trying to keep up with all his responsibilities.

So they showered Amrita with double the love, and made sure she felt cherished and valued in their home. Ajay's friendship with Amrita grew steadily as well, but he was equally affectionate with little Vidya, and often, all three of them would play for a long time, either in Amrita's or Ajay's home.

Vidya too was very attached to her Baba, and would cling to him no matter what. Whenever he was around she would insist on being in his arms, even though Janaki Amma and others took care of her. Amrita was affectionate towards her little sister, and adored her. In her own little ways, Amrita tried to look after Vidya and help her Baba.

But she missed her old Baba very much... the one who would piggy back her, and read stories to her every night without fail. Nowadays, she found that most of the time, he would carry Vidya in his arms, or spend time with friends. He now gave tuition to kids at home, which ran late into the night, and many times Amrita would fall asleep, as she waited for him and the bedtime story he was supposed to tell her. Brijesh felt guilty but helpless at the same time, that he was not able to spend enough time with Amrita.

Arjun Rathore was a journalist in the local newspaper. He was a freelance writer too and often wrote short stories and articles in various weekly magazines. He had a very friendly disposition, and made friends wherever he worked. Once they made friends with Arjun Rathore, everyone treasured his friendship.

He married Vasumathy who was from a different caste, much against the wishes of his family, and they cut off all ties with him since then. But he never regretted his decision. Vasumathy was his queen, and he treated her as such, and his friends became his family now. NanditaBen, a distant relative of Vasumathy and an elderly widow, stayed with them, and they treated her as part of their family with a lot of respect.

Arjun's childhood friend and Superintendent of Police Indrajit Saxena was getting married, and he came all the way to their town to invite the Rathore family for his wedding.

"Why do you want to get married at this at the ripe old age of 35? And ruin some good girl's life?" Arjun teased his friend mercilessly.

"Arre, Aap Bhi Naa!! Stop being so mean. Inder, I am really happy for you that you have finally decided to marry. Please don't take his words seriously." Vasumathy implored in half amused, half exasperated voice.

"Bhabhi!! We keep doing this to each other all the time, please don't worry. You probably don't know how much I teased him, when he got married to an angel like you." Indrajit reassured her with a smiling face.

Relieved, Vasumathy smiled happily, and offered both the childhood mates homemade halwa.

She added apprehensively.