Chapter 21

It never stops hurting -- giving someone the best of you

and watching them choose someone else.

Ajay looked at his watch. It was a battered old watch presented to him long time ago but he still used it. It was almost 8pm. He forgot what time Ammu mentioned the party was to start at. She was a control freak and a stickler to time when he knew her. If she was still the same, she would be mad at him for getting late.

He looked at himself and his full grown beard in the mirror and wondered if he had time to shave.

Then he remembered something. Smirking to himself, he changed into a kurta and jeans and left for the party.

He picked up some flowers on the way and reached Hotel Vrindavan around 9pm.

Amrita rechecked all the decorations around the table and the stage and ensured the special cake was ready.

She was surprised at the number of guests who arrived, and appreciated Ganesh Chand uncle's initiative to arrange a full-fledged party at such short notice. Most of Shyam's friends from University were  invited and some family friends and business associates were there too.

The spacious hall had round tables and chairs setup at the corners for guests and subtly decorated in off white and gold theme with red roses placed discreetly in the corners

The middle area was left open for the guests to mingle and chat. Waiters were serving finger food and drinks to all the guests.

Just then Amrita was delighted to see Mukesh walk in to the party. But she was not courageous enough to meet him. He looked quite uncomfortable, and Amrita suspected that he probably was here because he couldn't refuse Shyam's or Ganesh Chand's invitation.

Mukesh greeted Ganesh Chand and took his blessing and then gave Shyam courtesy hug. Shyam's face fell at this, but he hid his disappointment and introduced Mukesh to all his University friends.

Amrita plucked up her courage and walked over to greet Mukesh. He gave her a wry smile and asked about her job in US.

"I am working in Cisco at the moment as Project Manager . But I also work for the Government Agencies from time to time as an ethical hacker." She explained.

Shyam who joined them with drinks warned Mukesh jokingly "Never leave your laptop anywhere near her. She will hack into it without your knowledge in the blink of an eye."

Mukesh noticed how Amrita kept glancing at the entrance as if she was expecting someone.

Shyam asked mockingly "He said he will come right? So why are you so anxious?"

"I am not anxious. I was just checking to make sure the waiters aren't neglecting the guests over there." She snapped and walked away.

Shyam chuckled and but stopped himself as Mukesh was looking confusedly at him.