Chapter 38

A General-in-Chief must ask himself several times in the day,

What if the enemy were to appear now in my front,

or on my right, or my left? - Napoleon Bonaparte

Just at the same time as Kamal and Vikram were plotting Ajay's murder, Ajay was seriously arguing with Lawyer Khurana about his plan.

"But Ajay this is too risky and dangerous, and not strictly legal. As your Lawyer, I certainly can't approve of this. So many things can go wrong."

"Trust me Rakesh Sir, this is the only way we can break the nexus between Kamal and Vikram. For now, Vikram firmly believes that I killed Pratap, and the forensic and gun evidence is against me. Kamal made sure of that. Vikram may be extremely angry with Kamal, but would still support him, because he would want me dead for killing his brother.

As long as Kamal has Vikram's support, he will continue to fabricate evidence against me, and our defence case in court for these murder charges will be very weak. Trust me Sir; I have formulated this plan after taking into account every contingency and risk. We won't be harming anybody. But if you have a better plan, I am happy to hear it, and follow you." Ajay added courteously.

Khurana was deep in thought for a long time, but in the end nodded in agreement.

A relieved smile finally broke on Ajay's face.

"Hmm looks like your girlfriend's methods are slightly rubbing on you Ajay!" Khurana chuckled softly.

Ajay looked stunned for a moment that Rakesh could make such deductions about him and Amrita. But he couldn't, for the life of him, hide his feelings anymore. He bit his lip and raked fingers through his hair, looking obviously embarrassed.

"How is she by the way?" It looked like Khurana was having way too much at Ajay's expense.

The calm and collected Ajay Singh Rathore, who had everything worked out in a high stakes plan, suddenly looked like a vulnerable man in love, as he looked at Mukesh for support.

Mukesh too chuckled first but decided to come his friend's aid.

"Ammu is fine Ajay. She was of course quite upset and feeling guilty, but I think me and Shyam finally have managed to get her out of that, at least partially. And she is very worried about you. The best way to make you, (laughs) I mean, make her feel better, would be by speaking to her directly." Mukesh looked at Sarang asking for his permission, before handing over his mobile to Ajay.

"Ajay Sir, make it quick. S P Kamal Sir maybe back any time. We will wait outside. Come on Mukesh, I will take you to the best chaiwala in the locality here." All three of them left, giving Ajay the much needed privacy, and Ajay was both conscious and thankful for it.

He called Ammu straight away.

As if she was waiting for the call, Amrita picked up on the very first ring.

"Mukesh, Is Ajay there with you?" She asked anxiously, even before Ajay had a chance to say anything. Just listening to her voice made him feel better. The nightmare of last 48 hours seemed to slowly fade away.

"Ammu, it's me." He finally managed to say.

She gasped and clutched the phone tightly as if it was life support.