Chapter 49

And ever has it been known that love knows

not its own depth until the hour of separation -- Khalil Gibran

As years passed their town developed a lot. A new Junior (Intermediate) College was established, as well as a car factory on the outskirts. A lot of new families started settling in the area; the chief among them were Ganesh Chand and Mukesh's father Manish and their brothers.

Ganesh Chand setup a garage in their town, later expanded it and setup another branch in the neighbouring town, which was also developing rapidly due to the number of factories being setup. A degree college was also established in the neighbouring town. Mukesh's family were landlords, and having noticed the rise in demand and development around the town, they purchased land and properties around the area, and settled with their families owing to its good reputation.

Shyam and Mukesh joined Ajay's class in the 9th Standard in the high school and became very close friends; they studied together till their graduation. Shyam's brother was in the neighbouring town studying his degree.

Even though Amrita had mellowed down a lot, her reputation as a temperamental person still stuck to her, and most boys and girls were still quite intimidated by her. As she grew older, she took more responsibilities at home and school, helping her father, and became indispensable to him.

She also took upon helping her sister Vidya in her studies. Her friendship with Ajay was an essential part of her life, but she was no longer consumed by jealousy or possessiveness about him.

As they entered their teens, the gawky Amrita was suddenly self-conscious about her body and its changes due to the onset of menstrual periods, and even started to hate her appearance.

She insisted on not wearing any traditional or girly outfits, and wore only jeans or pants all the time.

It was a testimony of how close they were, and open with each other that she and Ajay had a lengthy discussion about this topic once. Even though they were just 15 and 14 years old, it was a sign of their maturity and respect for each other, that they could discuss this without feeling awkward or judgemental.

"Ammu, hormonal changes and puberty are part of growing up. Why have you become suddenly so negative and conscious of all of this? We have studied about it, haven't we? What is actually bothering you? I am no expert, but if there is anything I can help you by talking about it, I will happily do so. I want to see you like a happy and free spirit that you always were. I can't see you unhappy like this." Ajay said emotionally.

"I hate periods, Ajay. It as simple as that. It just makes me feel so weird and weak. I hate the mood changes that come with it and just look at my face. All these pimples. Aaargh. For Boys it is nothing ...so you are being so casual about it." Amrita's frustration was quite evident.