Chapter 67

Sonali woke up groggily, as a sharp beam of sunlight hit her from the window. She tried to avoid it by hiding her face under the pillow, but finally gave up. When she finally woke up and looked at her watch, she gasped in panic as it was almost 3pm India time. She got up quickly, freshened and walked down slowly towards the living area, to find Shyam reading some documents in the lounge .

He looked up and beamed at her. Sonali couldn't help but notice how his eyes lit up the moment he saw her, and it fluttered her heart. She quickly looked down and asked him accusingly.

"Why didn't you wake me up? I slept for so long."

"It's OK. You looked so tired last night, and I know how jetlagged we get when arrive from US. So, I didn't want to wake you up. You must be hungry. Come on, let's get you some lunch. We are lucky to have an excellent cook who comes and cooks for us every day." Shyam led her towards the dining table.

For a moment, Sonali was lost, happily smelling the nice aroma from the various dishes spread out on the table. Then she noticed Shyam chuckling at her and asked shyly

"What about you? Have you finished your lunch?"

"No, I too woke up quite late and had a late breakfast. So, I was waiting for you. Let's eat together. By the way, please don't feel shy. I know how homesick one can get when we are abroad, and nothing gives us more satisfaction than home cooked desi food. So, tuck in."

He kept serving her various dishes multiple times, till she groaned she can't eat anymore. As they were relaxing in the lounge after the meal, Sonali became afraid that she will fall asleep all over again, after that heavy lunch.

Just then Shyam's phone buzzed. Even from the one sided conversation, Sonali could guess that it was some upsetting news. She waited patiently for the call to finish, and asked him slowly.

"Was it about the trial? What happened?"

He smiled ruefully at her.

"It seems their attorney had already started the mudslinging, and called all the evidence we have presented to be fake, as it was not obtained by proper process. And he had threatened to call NASSCOM employees and others as witnesses. Rakesh Khurana, our lawyer had asked all of us to meet tonight to discuss this."

"Can I...Can I come too?" Sonali asked eagerly.

"Sonali, you have come here to relax and enjoy, for a holiday, not to get involved in court trials. Please don't do this to yourself." Shyam pleaded.

"Shyam, why do you say like that? That bastard Kamal got my brother's post mortem falsified, and claimed that Ajay beat him up in the station. Later he used that excuse to get him suspended. Every time I think of that, my blood boils, and I feel helpless that I couldn't do anything to help Ajay. I want to contribute in whatever little way possible in this quest for justice. I can understand if there is some security reason that I am not allowed to do this, by the police or Lawyer Khurana, but I expect you to understand me in this. And not try to stop me." Sonali replied emotionally.

Shyam got up anxiously and sat beside Sonali. His was tempted to hold her hand, but stopped himself.

"Sonali, I didn't mean that way at all. Of course I totally understand how you must have felt back then, or how you are feeling right now. I just meant ... I... Forget what I said. I will talk to Ajay and ask him if it is OK for you to join the meeting tonight. All right?" He looked at her, hoping that she won't be upset anymore.

Sonali smiled with relief, and pressed his hand to express her gratitude, but then started to withdraw it out of shyness. But Shyam held on to her hand for few moments, till he saw the colour rising in her cheeks. Slowly he let it go.