Chapter 54

He's more myself than I am.

What ever our souls are made of,

his and mine ... are the same. -- Emily Bronte.

That summer was the most beautiful and memorable period of their lives for both Ajay and Amrita. They met secretly whenever they could, and in a small town where almost everyone knew them, it was quite a challenge, but one they managed successfully nevertheless.

Everyone noticed subtle changes in Amrita though. Her face always had that happy glow, and she was smiling more and more, and looked quite relaxed. Even Brijesh noticed that his eldest daughter finally seemed to be really happy and content.

Mrs Sharma suspected that something might be brewing between the two teenagers, as one day she saw a very reddened and flushed Amrita run out of Ajay's room, and almost knocked over the sturdy wooden side table in the veranda. How wonderful would it be, if these two dear kids fell in love and seal their bond in matrimony, she mused happily all day.

She waited impatiently that day for her husband to come home in the evening, and expressed her doubts to him. Contrary to her expectations, Dr Sharma did not welcome this development. He took his time in answering to his wife's enthusiastic predictions.

"I value their friendship more than anything Anjali. Teenage love is so volatile and emotional, but friendship is more grounded and permanent. What if something happens between them tomorrow, and they have a breakup? It's just not their love that would get affected; it will be the end of their friendship too, which is 14 years old. I pray to god that we don't have to see that day ever." His emotional response took his wife by surprise.

She approached him and wrapped her arms around him.

"Please don't be upset. May be I am just imagining things. It's just the romantic in me. I do wish they get married; they are so perfect for each other. But what you say is quite true."

Dr Sharma too gathered his dear wife in his arms and sighed

"You don't know this perhaps, but Brijesh and Sharada were best friends too since childhood. But he always said that once Sharada became his wife, she was so busy fulfilling that role that he lost his best friend in the process. And he could never forget or replace her in his mind. So even though he was left with and infant and toddler after she died, the thought of remarriage was never in his mind. He adored and loved his wife and his best friend dearly, and he would do so for the rest of his life. I would rather marry someone, and then become best friends with them after marriage. Like I did, with you." He kissed her on her forehead affectionately and hugged her. Mrs Sharma smiled in contentment.

Ajay who was just passing by heard their conversation and was so touched. He respected Brijesh Sir even more now. But elders don't understand love, he thought. He and Ammu are like soulmates... nothing would ever happen to them. But he decided to be more careful with Ammu in Dr Sharma and Mrs Sharma's presence, so as not to raise any more suspicions.