Chapter 15

Important encounters are planned by souls 

much before the bodies see each other.

--- Paulo Coelho

Ajay got in touch with SI Sarang team on his way back to the rally ground. They could not see the motorbike rider either. Meanwhile SP Kamal called the teams while on his way to hospital. He announced to them that the bullet has missed Pratap Chaudhary's head but hit his neck, and he has been transferred to the nearest hospital for emergency surgery. Minister Vikram Chaudhary and party members were on the way to hospital too.

Ajay was relieved to hear that

Ajay was relieved to hear that. He didn't want such an easy death to Pratap. He would have to suffer the punishment he deserved.

Forensics department were already there at the grounds, but any hopes of finding clues about the shooter were pretty bleak, as there was so much crowd movement and commotion after the incident. Adding to the nuisance were scores of Press reporters. They were on to police asking numerous questions about the shooting and status of Pratap. Ajay and his team had tough time avoiding answers to the press. For once Ajay was glad he was not the authorised to speak to Press, because he had more important matters to attend to.

All the TV channels were now running live feed and discussions about the murder attempt on Pratap Chaudhary.

There were few CC TV cameras installed at the venue but Ajay recalled that the shooter was wearing full black outfit and helmet. Still Ajay and team hoped they would be able identify the shooter, at least partially, once they see the footage.

Meanwhile DIG had called all the teams to assemble in the station headquarters for an urgent meeting.

SP Kamal was feeling very nervous and tensed up. Vikram Chaudhary was like a volcano ready to explode. The looks he was giving SP Kamal were almost murderous. He waited till the surgery was completed successfully and the doctors declared that Pratap was out of danger.

Vikram Chaudhary then called a press conference and greeted all press representatives courteously. He ensured that the press made note of his grief and anguish and excused himself from answering any questions but instead made SP Kamal to address it.

SP Kamal swore that they will catch the criminal who shot their beloved leader Pratap Chaudhary as soon as they can. To the various questions posed by reporters as to the identity of the shooter or the motive behind the shooting, he had no satisfactory answer.

Vikram Chaudhary was silent throughout the press conference, but just added at the end that it was best to wait for police investigation results. Both walked away to the waiting car of Vikram Chaudhary.