Chapter 48

The Capacity to learn is a gift; the ability to learn is a skill;

The willingness to learn is a choice - Brian Herbert

As the years passed by, Ajay, Amrita and Vidya grew up imbibing the manners and values practiced by the elders around them, and they could have no better role models than Dr and Mrs Sharma, Brijesh Mehta and Indrajit Saxena.

For Ajay this extended family became his core support, both at an emotional and social level. He was never allowed to feel as if he was an Orphan, and his bond with Vidya, and especially Amrita deepened, as years went by.

Amrita was naturally intelligent and had imbibed the discipline of her father too. She never left anything incomplete, be it studies at school or her chores at home. She always pushed herself to study books which were above her grade level, so she could challenge herself.

Vasumathy introduced her to the world of poetry. She would read small, easy to understand poems, from renowned poets and old scriptures to Ajay and Amrita, and Brijesh nurtured that habit in them.

Brijesh was proud of his daughter's talent as well as Ajay's. But as a disciplined father as well as teacher, he would never openly praise his daughter for her achievements. He would declare Ajay as his true protégé, to induce some competition in Amrita's mind.

Little Vidya too was now 6 years old, and studying in 2nd standard. Although she was not as bright as her sister, she made up for it through hard work. She was fearful of her father too, and would study along with his tuition pupils, even at that small age. While everyone was vary of Amrita and her mercurial temper, Vidya's sweet disposition made her the crowd favourite, wherever she went.

Amrita didn't resent all the favouritism towards Vidya much, till it came down to Ajay

Amrita didn't resent all the favouritism towards Vidya much, till it came down to Ajay. As long Ajay was her best friend, she never cared for anyone else's opinion or company. Ajay was a natural leader, and without even aiming for it, he would be elected as student representative. All the kids looked up to him and vied for his friendship, due to his pleasing manners and clever ways.

He was also the envy of some wayward kids and families, who passed snide remarks against him and his parents, but he learnt to control his temper, and would only share his anger or trauma with Amrita.

Most of the times, those kids found that the tyres in their bicycles got punctured, or air taken off. They learnt the hard way not to antagonise Ajay or Amrita, because each would support the other, no matter what.

One day, they were all playing in the mango orchard during summer holidays. All the kids were sorely tempted to get the first ripest mango of the season, but the gardener had so far been successful in keeping them at bay.

Every year, it was a ritual and a competition among the boys, as to who can steal the first ripe mango of the season. Ajay usually managed it, and gifted the first fruit to Amrita.