Chapter 58

From Prev chapter:

Amrita cut him short.

"There's one more thing I want you to know Baba! I am in love with Shyam and we intend to marry each other once we are settled in jobs."

Contd.....

Janaki Amma stared bewilderingly at Amrita and Brijesh. 

"Ammu! What are you talking about ? That too now?" Janaki Amma's voice trembled slightly.

The tension and silence in the room was thick, and she could literally feel the waves of anger from Brijesh as he looked at Amrita. Shyam's face looked as if all the blood had drained out of it.

Amrita seemed to be the only one who was quite casual and unaffected by it all.

"Hmm you want me to know... does that mean you are just informing me Beta? I am really honoured to say the least...that you finally thought of informing me.

And why today? Was it because you have been caught? Otherwise, when were you planning to "let me know?" It was unclear whether Brijesh was feeling sad or angry.

He turned to look at Shyam, who was still avoiding his eyes.

"So... Shyam you are not brave enough to look into my eyes, yet to plan to marry my daughter. Does your father know about this? Have you guys 'informed' him as well?" He mocked.

Shyam looked miserably into the eyes of his teacher and mentor, whom he respected so much.

"My father doesn't know it yet Sir, but I am sure he won't have any objection to it. He loves Ammu very much." 

There.... He said it, Shyam thought, as he cursed himself for the situation he was in. 

Well, at least the part about his father having no objection to Amrita, and loving her, was completely true.

"In fact it was his mother's wish that I marry Shyam, She asked me before..." Amrita gulped, hating herself to bring Deepa into this.

Brijesh looked devastated; this was a decision that he can't argue against now, if it involved a dying wish of someone as dear as Deepa. He remained speechless for sometime, before he could slowly gather his senses back.

"Shyam, it is quite late now. I will come and talk with you and your father later. Please go home now." He said in a resigned voice,  as he slowly walked back to his room.

Janaki Amma looked at the retreating figure of Brijesh, and felt her heart burst with sympathy. She gave Amrita and Shyam one last look in anger, before going off to her room.

"Thanks for everything Ammu, for ruining my integrity and the trust everyone had in me." Shyam spat at Amrita, before storming out of the house.

" Shyam spat at Amrita, before storming out of the house