Chapter 69

The court went for a short lunch break. Nitin came and apologised profusely to both Kabir Khan and Rakesh Khurana for stuffing up his evidence.

"Whatever you said was true, there was nothing wrong with that. Yes it would have been helpful if you didn't make the clear reference to Pratap's murder like that. But their attorney Pramod Gupta would have done it anyway. Please be more careful in the future." Khurana advised him.

Khurana patted on the shoulder of the desolate looking Nitin, and advised him not to worry and took the case file from him. He walked towards Amrita and Shyam, passed on the file to them, to have a quick reference for dates and times, and asked them to go through the file. More people joined in the public and press gallery, as the news about what was going on inside, spread like wildfire outside through social media and TV channels. People were even standing at the back and there was lot of noise.

When Judge Thapar returned from break, he had to muster every ounce of patience he had, and order everyone to remain calm, so the court proceedings can go on.

Amrita was asked to take the oath and stand in the witness box.

Ravi Rajan came towards the witness box with a sinister smile.

"Most people don't realise what they do, when they take oath in this witness box. It's an oath to swear that they will speak and answer truthfully to everything they are asked about. Do you understand that?" He was smiling, but his eyes held a steely glint.

"Of course, I do

"Of course, I do." Amrita hated that smirk on Ravi Rajan's face. She took a deep breath and tried to compose herself.

"So tell me your name and how you are related to the deceased Vidya Mehta." Rajan asked casually.

"I am Amrita Mehta, Vidya... Vidya was my younger sister." Amrita tried her best to sound calm.

"And so Ajay Singh Rathore was your childhood friend, but then he married your younger sister Ms Vidya. Am I right?" He continued with the same smirk.

"They... They were not married. He was her Fiancé. Yes." She replied with gritted teeth.

"And how is your relationship with him?" He asked her in a soothing voice.

"It is good." She replied without thinking.

"Is good? Ms Mehta, Mr Rathore is dead but you are speaking in present tense as if he is still alive." Ravi Rajan pounced at the opportunity.

Amrita gulped nervously and realised what Ravi was implying here. He knew that Ajay was very much alive. She suppressed her chain of thoughts and replied.

"I am sorry that was...that was just a slip of the tongue. I am still unable to come to terms with the death of my sister... In the same way..." She stopped.