Chapter 88

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.

Indeed it is the only thing that ever has ~ Margaret Mead.

The excitement and the buzz around the court room, at this point, was fever pitch. Before the public and the press could digest the fact that Ajay Singh Rathore was actually alive, he was being presented in the court as witness. Couple of reporters ran outside quickly to give this breaking news to their channels, and came back in a hurry so as not to miss even a single minute of this exciting trial. There was a lot of commotion outside the courtroom to grab a quick picture of him, but the police constables surrounded him like a wall and Ajay walked in slowly.

 There was a lot of commotion outside the courtroom to grab a quick picture of him, but the police constables surrounded him like a wall and Ajay walked in slowly

As no cameras or mikes were allowed inside the courtroom, the press gallery had to satisfy itself just by looking at him for now. But they immediately alerted their channels via text messages, to setup live feed in front of the court, to capture the after court proceedings through video footage and take photos of ACP Ajay.

But as Ajay walked in towards the witness stand, there were literally loud cheers and claps in the courtroom especially by Mukesh, Vijay and co. and Judge Thapar had to call on everyone to remain silent.

Ajay took the oath and looked straight at the opponent lawyers with an unflinching gaze. Ravi Rajan felt shivers up his spine initially but recovered himself quickly, and looked defiantly back at him.

Kamal didn't even raise his gaze, and kept looking at his feet.

Pramod and his group of lawyers fidgeted and squirmed uncomfortably in their seats.

Judge Thapar cleared his throat loudly and the whole court room fell completely silent.

"I have seen many cases in my career, but watching a man make his appearance in the court after being presumed dead is the first for me. Mr Khurana, what other magic tricks are you going to pull out of your box now?" A rare smiled appeared on Judge Thapar's face, and Khurana was thankful for it.

"Your honour, you are too kind and I am no magician indeed. If we were able to keep the truth about Mr Rathore being alive well-hidden, it was entirely due to the diligent protection measures taken by various branches of law or order forces in this state, and I must thank them from the bottom of my heart.

As you can understand with the proceedings so far, ACP Rathore... I prefer calling him Ajay if you don't mind, Ajay's life was in grave danger before and continues to be in danger even now. So we had to be very secretive about it, and he had been kept in various secret houses and offered protection, and I am very thankful to say that DIG Indrajit Saxena took it upon himself, to make sure that my witness and client were protected at every level.

Ajay! I hope from the ante chamber where you were before, you have heard everything that was revealed today, in terms of the accident and explosion to the police van, and how your friends rescued you by doing a body swap. But we would like to hear in your own words, all the facts that have happened in Ms Vidya Mehta's case; and your fight for justice that had led you to the most extreme situation, resulting finally in someone attempting to take your life." Khurana looked encouragingly at Ajay, and went back to his desk and leaned on it, in his typical fashion.