Chapter 19

If you love somebody, let them go,

 for if they return, they were always yours.

And if they don't, they never were. ~~ Khalil Gibran

Pic credit barunhotwa  

Amrita and Shyam were having breakfast. Vijay was in the garage as there was a customer with urgent repair work.

Ganesh Chand joined them and Amrita got up to serve breakfast for him too. As he sat down Ganesh Chand realised that something had upset both Shyam and Amrita. Both looked quite off colour and seemed to be in their own thoughts. Shyam was furtively glancing at Amrita from time to time but Amrita had her head bent down and was playing with her food.

Ganesh Chand was about to give them a surprise later in the day but looking at these two, he decided now was a better time.

He got up and went to Shyam and blessed him on his head and wished him happy birthday.

Both Amrita and Shyam were surprised. Amrita wished Shyam warmly and lightly hugged him.

Shyam was perplexed.

"But Baba, my birthday was last month. What is this now? I don't mind getting more gifts though." He added laughingly.

"I know it was last month as per English dates but this is as per our Hindu calendar. You are never here to celebrate your birthday, so I thought I would organise a party for you tonight at Hotel Vrindavan. It was supposed to be a surprise but anyway... Please invite all your friends and knowing you, I am sure you will be shameless to ask everyone to bring you lots of gifts." He chuckled affectionately.

He turned to Amrita and was glad to see her smiling.

"Beti, I know what is going on in your mind right now and how depressed you are. We all share your pain, but when you reach my age, you understand that we should embrace life with all ups and downs. These little moments of happiness even in times of grief act like a soothing balm. So I expect you to join us tonight. Remember one thing, you should share your grief and surround yourself with loved ones at times like this."

Amrita became teary eyed listening to his kind words. She nodded and promised that she would be there, and also takes care of all the decoration arrangements for tonight's party.

Once Ganesh Chand left, Amrita said in mock anger. "This is too much. I just bought you  Apple Watch last month. Why should I give a gift to you again?"

Shyam walked closer to her and tapped on her head affectionately. "Seeing you in a happy mood like this is the best gift of all. It's been so long. Now I feel terrible to spoil your mood again. But this is important."

He walked over to the corner desk and pulled out a large envelope from the top drawer and handed it to her. There were couple of photographs inside. And he briefly explained to her what it was about.