Chapter 64

After Kamal's hurried exit, there was an awkward silence between Vikram and Nitin which was broken by Vikram's Secretary Dhanraj.

"Mr Varma, how did you know that IT people are going to raid Kamal Chaudhary?" he asked, looking at him suspiciously.

"Dhanraj Ji I have my little birds and helpers in various departments, friends for whom I have done some favours in their past by covering for them or helping them, and I always make sure that they won't forget about it later. So whenever they can, they help me by passing on this kind of news." Nitin couldn't hide his smirk.

Then turning to Vikram, he continued, but in a more respectful tone.

"VikramJi, I think our SP Sahib seems to be in deep waters. The guy who called me said the order to raid Kamal Sir came from top, which means they have solid evidence against Kamal Sir, and he might even be arrested. Something about offshore accounts, and lot of money being shifted there recently?? Well I don't want to speak out of my place, but unless you intervene with the top people, he is going inside for a long time." His voice was full of concern.

Vikram and Dhanraj looked at each other

Vikram and Dhanraj looked at each other. Dhanraj quickly got onto the phone to call the IT Commissioner.

*******

As Kamal rushed to his home, lot of thoughts were swirling in his mind, and he cursed himself for forgetting to stow away the monetary bonds somewhere in a secret place. He was careful though, not to keep every one of them at same place. He prayed to god that whoever was coming, will not be able to find all his secret hideouts.

But when he reached his home, he was surprised to find that it was empty; just like the way it normally was. He didn't understand. Was Nitin lying to him? He went inside and checked everywhere, no one was there. He was mad with fury that Nitin played such humiliating practical joke on him. But as he recalled, Nitin was very serious,and he said that in front of Vikram Chaudhary. Surely, he wouldn't mess around with people in such a way. 

He tried to call Nitin back to make sure why he was misled like this, but then realised to his frustration that he doesn't have Nitin's mobile number with him. He then thought of calling Vikram Chaudhary and apprise him of the situation, but somehow his ego stopped him from doing so. Why bother him if there was no raid? May be he was having a laugh along with Nitin at his expense? His blood boiled again thinking of this humiliation.

As they say the best revenge is to live happily, Kamal thought to himself. The moment he was out of the country with his money, as far away from this creep Vikram, the better for him.

After the initial fury, he began to form a new plan in his mind. Now that the IT officials were not here, perhaps this was the best time to hide away all of his monetary bonds. He went to each of his hiding places, built specially in the walls and hidden panels all over the house, took them all out, and placed them in a large trolley case. He peered through the windows once again to check no one is there, and carefully stepped out of the house pushing the trolley.